Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screenng

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SyianZi

SyianZi

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hello there. Firstly I'd just like to thank you guys for helping me sort a laptop issue I had not so long ago.

Alright, the issue this time is with my gaming rig, I've recently had some problems with my CPU overheating, it would hit 65 idle and 95 on full load. I've sort of solved that with a new heatsink. I idle at 50 and full load at 65. This blue screen issue started properly yesterday, after I started gaming after months of not being on my computer. This machine has blue screened before, it's just it's now stopping me doing what I want to do now so it's a big problem.

It blue screened yesterday when I was playing Alpha Protocol. My core temps where around 65 57 53 59. Today I installed to play Forsaken World, an MMORPG, installed it and turned it on, and it blue screened at character select(Create), I was just flicking through the class types and it kept stopping. No idea why it runs very smoothly on top graphics. Anyway, I got past that after reboot and got into playing the game, I got so far through (just after an in game cut scene) and it blue screened again. There's a clear problem, I've never had an issue like this while playing any full screen game before, I game so much it's practically all I do!.

Any advice or help would be really great, thanks.

System Information:

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Alright, I've run the program but nothing comes up in the window. It's showing 0 crashes.

System Information:

Spoiler

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Next time the system displays a blue screen error please post the complete contents of the error message.

#5 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Right, I flicked on Forsaken World again, and sure enough 5 minutes in I hit blue screen. The thing is it only stays on the screen for about 1 second before it reboots, and the Blue Screen View still isn't finding any dump files.

System Information:

Spoiler

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Okay. Please go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and uncheck "automatically restart". Then reboot. Next time the blue screen will stay up until you force a reboot.

#7 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

Alright, I played Forsaken World again, and the game kept stopping, third time it stopped it blue screened and this is what was displayed. (hand written and typed up)

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has been unexpectedly exited or been terminated

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or sofware is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you may need.

If problems continue. disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select advanced start up options and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x88FFE7F8, 0x88FFE944, 0x8224F330)

Collecting Data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...

System Information:

Spoiler

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

F4 is a tough one. Here are some things you can try:

1) First and easiest - look in device manager - any errors?

2) Check the ram. To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

3) Check the oem websites for video, audio and chipset drivers and see if you have the latest. If not, download and install

4) If you have recently updated any of the above drivers and the problem started immediately after, roll back to the previous driver

5) Try a selective startup. Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Again, this particular error can be caused by any number of things. Troubleshooting pretty much consists of trial and error. Sorry.

#9 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:21 AM

Alright no problem, I appriciate the help thus far. So far I've checked device manager and found no errors at all. Then I durnt memtest and booted that, I left this to run over night and it did 17 pass' (4gb Ram) and no errors, so thats fine. I'm in the middle of checking for drivers and such, but I'm not sure how to find my chipset drivers. Apart from that I should get the bulk of these tests done tonight, so fingers crossed I'll find something.

On another note, I'm fairly intrested in reformatting my computer because it hasn't been done in the past 2 years. I'm slightly reluctant to do so but I would resolve a number of issues in reguards to things not uninstalling and hopefully boot up to desktop speed. And of course, issues like this. However I do plan on fixing this issue so hopefully it wont come to that ^.^

System Information:

Spoiler

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

Find the chipset driver at the website of your mobo manufacturer (or, if it's not a home built system, at the website of the computer manufacturer)

#11 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've just updated my drivers on my chipset, figured I'd test out the game again at that point, it started freezing much more and eventually blue screened. The blue screen message was different. I'll show it below.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or sofware is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you may need.

If problems continue. disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select advanced start up options and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007A (0xC0409B78, 0xC000000E, 0x5A3488C0, 0x0136F008)

Collecting Data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...

System Information:

Spoiler

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Well, here's what Microsoft has to say: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939024.aspx

#13 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

ok (Using second computer to write this) I did what you said in reguards to opening MSCONFIG and clicked selective start up (which was on anyway) and unticked the top 2 box's. The bottom one was ticked and grayed out. Anyway, I saved that. I loaded the machine back on and the top box (Load system services) is gayed out and ticked now. However, I played Alpha Protocol, the first game I noticed this problem with, and it kept freezing constantly, and then eventually blue screened. It didn't really freeze when I was getting into lots of action or generally viewing big area's, but more randomly, or when an in game cut scene or something is used. It will freeze for about 20 seconds or more, (sometimes less) and then continue as normal. It blue screened when the level was completed and it was loading, the game didn't freeze as far as I was aware because the games loading logo kept spinning around.

It was the F4 message again, on the blue screen.

On another note, I've updated my drivers to the best of my ability, I had some problems with my graphics drivers but they're now completely up to day and working fine, my chipset drivers are also up to date.

Something that I find strange are my speakers. I got a pair of cheap speakers from ASDA (Supermaket), and when I'm doing anything onmy computer, I can hear when I can only describe as a loading noise I used to hear on my old PC when the red light on the front of the tower lit up. It comes through the speakers but not the head set, so I always figured it was just those. However it also works along side these problems I've been having in reguards to when I'm playing a game, the noise is constant, and when the game freezes, the noise just stops. Not sure if it's linked to anything at all, but never know.

(I couldn't find aplace to update my soundMAX drivers, however in the device manager it said my drivers where already up to date, I found higher version numbers online on places like download.cnet.com but I didn't know if they where even viable.)

System Information:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users