Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Map drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 delvis

delvis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

I have a network with computers running Windows 7 Pro, XP Pro, and Vista Home Basic and Home Premium. I am trying to map the C: drive on the 7 Pro but cannot access it from any of the other computers. The error code that it throws is 0x80070005 from Vista and just tells me "Access denied" on the XP machines. I have been through the Help sections on 7 and they didn't clue me in. The are all running Symantec Endpoint protection and I have gone through their help section to configure the firewall to allow traffic but still get the same errors. Any help would be oh so very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

Have you enabled sharing for the drive and are the other computers the vista computers,7 and xp, are you using both administrator accounts to access the drive from those computers? Because even if a drive is designated to be shared over the network, you sometimes have to have administrative privileges.

Edited by Zestypanda, 21 July 2011 - 12:42 PM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 delvis

delvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Yes, sharing has been enabled and I have tried with admin. Nothing seems to work. I have mapped several drives in my network with no problem but this one is being a bit stubborn.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Yes, sharing has been enabled and I have tried with admin. Nothing seems to work. I have mapped several drives in my network with no problem but this one is being a bit stubborn.

Were the other drives non system ones? Because traditionally the C: drive is the system drive letter allocation. I say this because Microsoft, as a security precaution in windows vista and 7 have changed how you share drives, specifically the c drive, and what permission level you have to be to even see let alone read/write to and from folders in the drive.

Edited by Zestypanda, 21 July 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#5 delvis

delvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Okay I was unaware that they changed that. Can you point me to the info on permissions?

#6 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

from microsoft site, Microsoft anwsers More info from Technet More info, this time on vista Vista help Info on windows 7 sharing Windows 7 help fourm I hope these links help, if not then chime back on this thread.

Edited by Zestypanda, 21 July 2011 - 01:14 PM.

#7 delvis

delvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

Will do. Thanks for the info.

#8 delvis

delvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

Okay- I am still stuck. I tried several things from the links above but still get the same message. This is a network at my work and they had me build the Windows 7 computer to use as the server (I tried to get them to go for Server 2003 or 2008 but they didn't want to spend the extra cash...). The POS software they use requires that you install it on the server and then go to the client computers and install from the root drive of the server. I have mapped the specific folders needed to the clients but it will not allow the install unless it can access the actual root drive, not just a folder on said drive. Other than having them get new POS software, what can I do to make this work?

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Okay, this might help. But please use the information carefully, This artical has some info, also look in the comments, they have some help full info also. Root drive sharing and permission (this is a pdf)

Edited by Zestypanda, 22 July 2011 - 01:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users