Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video Signal going from computer to Monitor!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

I have a Dell Studio XPS Desktop computer that is not working. All of a sudden I kept getting a entering power saving mode on the monitor. I instantly thought of a cable, monitor or graphics card issue. I checked all the cables inside the tower and everything seems plugged in. I tried on a number of different monitor's, but all gave me the same problem (does pick up on the video signal). I tried another Graphics card that I know works, but this did no good. I have tried connecting with HDMI, VGA and DVI. Faulty RAM or hard drive should let me see some kind of Bios or windows logo prior to the error. Faulty PSU would not mean the computer would power on at all. It starts up running everything like it is working, but nothing translates to the screen. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

So you were getting a picture in the past but aren't now? And this is with trying different graphics cards, cables, monitors, etc?

When you say "does pick up on the video signal", I'm assuming you mean it leaves power save mode but still doesn't have a picture on the monitor?

I'm just trying to figure out what you have tried in case you missed something obvious (which we've all done at some point).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the reply! I should have been clearer in my description. It is completely staying in power saver mode. The monitor shows no sign of life, nor does 2 other monitors I have tried. Could this possibly be a PSU Problem or faulty RAM? I have tried 2 different video cards, 2 monitors with VGA & DVI Connections. Some ideas would be a huge help.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

It's certainly possible the card isn't getting enough power to push out video. It could also be a motherboard issue (bad PCI slot, etc.). RAM is unlikely.

What wattage is your PSU, and what are the model(s) of graphics cards you have tried?

Just to confirm, everything was working fine in the past, but suddenly doesn't anymore? Did anything change or did it just quit working out of the blue?

Are you still under warranty? http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

Edited by keyboardNinja, 21 July 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Total Max Power of the PSU is 350 Watts. The computer did just stop working all of a sudden. It did have a pretty severe Virus about 1 month earlier. Here is the Graphics card I tried Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 210 512 MB PCI-Express Video Card GV-N210OC-512I

The one that was originally in the system when this problem started is virtually the same one. Thanks for your help.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Are you still under warranty? http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Computer is out of warranty. Should I try another PSU. Why does the system only have one PCI 2.0 slot? If this does not work then the whole motherbaord has to be replaced.

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

I tried a 460W Elite PSU from Cool Master and that did not change anything. I also put in another hard drive from a different PC, but same result. I think it looks like a faulty PCI express slot or the motherboard has stopped functioning. Either way the system looks like it is beyond repair. What do you think?

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

I would have asked something about internal hardware, but you seem to have nixed all of those as possibilities :P . Have you been plugging all of these monitors into the same power outlet? Perhaps the outlet is the culprit :blink:
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

I think it looks like a faulty PCI express slot or the motherboard has stopped functioning. Either way the system looks like it is beyond repair. What do you think?

I agree with this assessment. If you want, I can ask for a second opinion from my fellow staff members.

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Would I be correct to assume that the Cool Master PSU with 460 W is ample to run my Dell XPS Studio 435MT DEsktop. If the power outlet was not working then wouldn't that mean that none of my monitors were working on this outlet (This is not the case). Seems very unlucky if it is a failed PCI Express as that still means the MOBO needs to be replaced. Any hope or I have exhausted all options. Thanks.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Does the video card work in another machine?

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

More then likely keyboardninja is right. I've had issues in the past very similar to this and after exhausting everything else I replaced the motherboard. Whats actually happening is probably one of the transistors, capacitors, or resistors on the motherboard is overheating and breaking the circuit for the Video out signal. In simple terms a $0.10 part is shutting down a $50-$150 part on a $1000 machine.

I would suggest since you're replacing the motherboard to go ahead and upgrade the PSU to a 500W or better as manufactured PC tend to cut the max Power output of the stock PSU pretty close to the Specs for the hardware combination they install.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users