Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No new hardware, can't find drivers even after clean install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DeJay

DeJay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

So, my computer suddenly started finding a handful of devices it can't find drivers for. I didn't add any new hardware. After trying all I could think of I resorted to trying a clean install. Sadly that did not help.

Can someone advise me on where to begin to diagnose this problem? Obviously I'm not very experienced with this.

I'm sure you'll need more information to truly help with this, but I'm not sure what to provide or how to obtain it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

Please provide more information. What do you mean your system is finding devices for which it can't find drivers? Please explain IN DETAIL.

Also, after the clean install did you download and install the chipset driver followed by all other appropriate drivers? Look in device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

#3 DeJay

DeJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

My computer tells me it has found new hardware for three "base system device" and one "IEEE 1394 Controller". The device manager shows the four items with yellow warning symbols in the "other devices" category. There is also a yellow warning symbol for something called a "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller".

#4 DeJay

DeJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

I have downloaded and tried to install all of the driver software from my laptop manufacturer's website for my make and model. A HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC. The sticker on the bottom says it's a dv6605us

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Did you install the chipset driver?

And are you saying the only place you see the devices in need of drivers is in device manager?

Edited by Allan, 21 July 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#6 DeJay

DeJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

I downloaded and ran the executable from the HP website that is supposed to update the chipset drivers, then restarted the computer. Nothing seems to have changed.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Did you install the Intel or Nvidia chipset driver? Do you know which you have? Have you used the HP System Software Manager to tell you which drivers you need? If not, please try it.

#8 DeJay

DeJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:04 AM

My laptop has a program called "HP update" that says I have everything up to date.

The installer I got from HP for the chipset drivers said nvidia on it, but I wouldn't know how to check which I actually have.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:16 AM

Did you install the Intel or Nvidia chipset driver? Do you know which you have? Have you used the HP System Software Manager to tell you which drivers you need? If not, please try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users