Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dns resolver cache

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ghillie3

Ghillie3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hey Guy,

I'm new, but love the website. Im not not if this is a huge problem, but after I flush my DNS Resolver Cache using cmd the typing in flushdns it says it deleted successful, however< I type in displaydns and everthing is still> Am I missinf somthing?

sorry my typing sucks lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/dns/how-can-i-view-and-clear-my-dns-cache-content-

Are you using the correct commands? It takes a few seconds for the display to appear on my system, after running the ipconfig /flushdns command just prior to running ipconfig /ipconfig /displaydns.

Louis

#3 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Yes that is what I type. Those are the only 2 commands I know that HELP with DNS cache. But why do they still appear after i type flushdns. So it looks like this I type ipconfig /displaydns..... then ipconfig /flushdns.....then just for giggles I checked it again by typing ipconfig /displaydns and everything was still there, it looks like nothing was deleted. I hope you understand what i'm trying to say.I am thankful for your response, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank U

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

In that case, You have to stop DNS Cache service and restart it.

sc stop dnscache
sc start dnscache

#5 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

It says openservice failed 5 access denied

#6 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

nevermind I ran as admin but it is all still there... its just not deleting the cache... in my other pc i did same thing typed same thing and everything is gone its a dell.... my main pc is a asus but cache just doesnt want to delete weird.

#7 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

still same problem after typing flushdns and then display dns all of the resolver cache is still there however after flushing dns is say it was successful i must be be doing somthing wrong how can i list my cache onto notepad and is there aonther way to delete dnscache in registry?

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:52 PM

....after I flush my DNS Resolver Cache using cmd the typing in flushdns it says it deleted successful, however< I type in displaydns and everthing is still> Am I missinf somthing?

I believe you have to run elevated command (as administrator):

How to Open a Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

Edit to add: OOPS, I just read your reply above that you ran as admin...:blink:

Do you use custom Hosts file? From Louis' link: >>>Flushing the DNS cache clears all entries and reloads the entries from the Hosts file<<<

Edited by Union_Thug, 05 August 2011 - 04:25 AM.

#9 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Union_Thug for directing me to that website I finlly found out how delete resolver cache fully. Basically what I was looking for were the hostfiles listed in DNS resolver cache. Again when typing in ipconfig /displaydns it would list all of the host files..... so it typed ipconfig /flushdns and it would say somthing like deleted successful(?) but after typing in displaydns the hostfiles would all pop up again. So thanx to u I followd some instructions http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials however it didn't show how to delete them just how to get to where to host files are located. And this is how....
Open notepad using "Run As Administrator" (Start.Accessories,right click on notepad click on run as admin) then open CMD (same way, Start,in search bar type CMD,right click on CMD,run as admin. Now goto notepad and open this Computer-C: drive or what ever your hard drive is-windows/system32/drivers/etc.. then on notepad on bottom right u click on "all files" and click on open. You should then be able to see all ur host files on notepad. So what I did was delete all the host files in the ..etc folder. went back to cmd typed in ipconfig /displaydns and it said "could not open dns cache" so I restarted pc typed it in again and PRESTO all files are gone. After searching and searching I finally found 2 websites are the best help ever Thank You BLEEPING COMPUTER AWWWWWWWWSOME.
Best wishes to you
Ghillie3

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

You're welcome, glad you got things sorted. If you're interested here's a great little program to manage your Hosts files, you can do all that you've described in this thread & MUCH MORE w/ a few mouse clicks and it literally takes only SECONDS...and best of all, it's FREE.

It's called HostsMan: http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

Features
  • Automatic update of hosts file
  • Enable/Disable hosts file
  • Built-in hosts editor
  • Scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks
  • Hosts file backup manager
  • Exclusion list
  • Local HTTP server

#11 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

YOU ARE THE MAN BRO AWSOME THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I've researching this for atleast 6 months youdont know how much you helped me .....again thanx for everything

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

***Blushes**** Thanks, you just gave me my first birthday present with your very kind & generous words.

#13 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

Now if I only knew what I absolutely need to run in the pc services all those names are gibberish and to tell you the truth i,m to lazy to google all of them and really don't udnerstand the definitions... any ideas. it seems ive made a new friend and from what i can tell is you would know everything about this. Yeah I've tried before but I get lost

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Now if I only knew what I absolutely need to run in the pc services all those names are gibberish and to tell you the truth i,m to lazy to google all of them and really don't udnerstand the definitions... any ideas. it seems ive made a new friend and from what i can tell is you would know everything about this. Yeah I've tried before but I get lost

This will help, if you're talking about the services.msc (Automatic, Manual, Disabled, etc...):

Black Viper's Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

I use his "safe" configuration with only 4 or 5 differences...make sure you read all the footnotes and pay attention to the *'s. If you click on the service's display name, it opens a Wiki page for each service.

Highly recommended. :)

[attachment=103943:svcs.PNG]

#15 Ghillie3

Ghillie3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

i knew i can count on you thanx alot

0 user(s) are reading this topic