Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clarify How to use Database

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:06 AM

I am so happy that I found this forum and after disabling quite a few things in autorun my computer seems to be going much faster yay!

But I still have some questions about entries in the data base.

For a few of the things I looked up there are numerous entries in the database, for example this line returns 30+ entries
Windows Messenger Windows Messenger Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
Some of the entries have identical filenames but some have X's and others Y's. How do I know which one I have here?

If an entry appears to be very similar to something in my startup list but has a different extension how do I address that?

There are a good many items on my list that I could not find in the database that are related to programs that I'm pretty sure do not have to run automatically and are not related to the overall function of my machine. For example, adobe, microsoft office, windows live. Can I uncheck these with relative security that I am not screwing up anything major?

After unchecking a few things in the drivers list that I think are related to my cellphone backup it gives me an error in the device manager. Is that going to create a problem when I plug my cell in? Its not that I dont want it to run at all its just that I don't need it to run but very very seldom.

I've included a list of all the ones that I could not find in the database. Hopefully my questions will address some of these, but could someone take a quick look at this and see if anything really jumps out at you as fishy?

Thanks!

Explorer
text/xml Microsoft Office XML MIME Filter Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\office12\msoxmlmf.dll
livecall Windows Live Messenger Protocol Handler Module Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msgrapp.14.0.8064.0206.dll
ms-help Microsoft® Help Data Services Module Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\help\hxds.dll
msnim Windows Live Messenger Protocol Handler Module Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msgrapp.14.0.8064.0206.dll
EPP (this entry appears twice) Microsoft Security Client Shell Extension Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft security client\shellext.dll
MBAMShlExt (this entry appears twice) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Malwarebytes Corporation c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbamext.dll
PDF Shell Extension PDF Shell Extension Adobe Systems, Inc. c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\pdfshell.dll

Scheduled Tasks
MP Scheduled Scan.job Microsoft Malware Protection Command Line Utility Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft security client\antimalware\mpcmdrun.exe

Services
MsMpSvc Helps protect users from malware and otherpotentiallyunwantedsoftware Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft security client\antimalware\msmpeng.exe
MSSQL$MSSMLBIZ Provides storage, processing and controlled access of data and rapid transaction processing. Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\binn\sqlservr.exe
SQLBrowser Provides SQL Server connection information to client computers. Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft sql server\90\shared\sqlbrowser.exe
SQLWriter Provides the interface to backup/restore Microsoft SQL server through the Windows VSS infrastructure. Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft sql server\90\shared\sqlwriter.exe

Drivers
winachsf HSF_CNXT driver Conexant Systems, Inc. c:\windows\system32\drivers\hsx_cnxt.sys

Codecs
msacm.iac2 Indeo® audio software Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax
msacm.l3acm MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM Fraunhofer IIS c:\windows\system32\l3codeca.acm
msacm.sl_anet Audio codec for MS ACM Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. c:\windows\system32\sl_anet.acm
msacm.trspch DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Codec for MSACM V3.50 DSP GROUP, INC. c:\windows\system32\tssoft32.acm
vidc.cvid Cinepak® Codec Radius Inc. c:\windows\system32\iccvid.dll
vidc.iv31 c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll
vidc.iv32 c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll
vidc.iv41 Intel Indeo® Video 4.5 Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax
vidc.iv50 Intel Indeo® video 5.10 Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll
Indeo® video 4.4 Compression Filter Intel Indeo® Video 4.5 Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax
Indeo® video 4.4 Decompression Filter Intel Indeo® Video 4.5 Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax
ACELP.net Audio Decoder ACELP.net Audio Decoder Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. c:\windows\system32\acelpdec.ax
Capture File Writer Windows Live Video Acquisition Filters Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows live\photo gallery\wlxvafilt.dll
Indeo® audio software Indeo® audio software Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax
Indeo® video 5.10 Compression Filter Intel Indeo® video 5.10 Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll
Indeo® video 5.10 Decompression Filter Intel Indeo® video 5.10 Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll

MPEG Layer-3 Decoder MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder Fraunhofer IIS c:\windows\system32\l3codecx.ax
Record Queue Windows Live Video Acquisition Filters Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows live\photo gallery\wlxvafilt.dll
WIA Stream Snapshot Filter WIA Stream Snapshot Filter MyCompanyName c:\windows\system32\wiasf.ax
WM VIH2 Fix Windows Live Video Acquisition Filters Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows live\photo gallery\wlxvafilt.dll

Edited by naughtyeyes, 21 July 2011 - 10:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users