Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer DVR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timothy2181

timothy2181

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Hey, first post here.

I am looking to buy a TV tuner card for an extra computer tower I have. I wanted advice on what I am doing.

1. I have a generic, 3 year old MB + CPU. Does it matter that these components are old if the sole purpose of this computer will be to be a DVR? The card interface is PCI, and I have an available PCI port on the motherboard.

2. Do I need to buy anything besides cable service and the TV tuner card?

3. How does the interface with a tv tuner card work? Do I have to figure out the exact times I want recording to go, or can I somehow setup automatic recording based on a show's title

4. I plan to set this computer up, and forget it. I plan on accessing the shows by another computer that will be part of the same network. Should I run into any trouble doing this?

5. Can I record shows at a higher resolution than the DVR computer can display? I will obviously only view them on my main computer that has the ability to display 1080p.

Thanks for your help, and any additional tips you can give are much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MiniXP

MiniXP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

Many of these questions depend on what software you use to record the programs. Most tuner cards come with their own software, some of which is pretty good. Here are some ATI cards: http://www.amd.com/us/products/pctv/tv-wonder-tuners/Pages/tv-wonder-tv-tuners-for-the-pc.aspx

You can also look at the ATI software from that link to see if it will do what you want it to.

#3 timothy2181

timothy2181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

I had something like this in mind: Hauppauge 1213

I don't want a combo tuner/video card. I just want a tuner to record HD programs onto my hard drive, so I can pull them from my main computer that is on the same network. Can Google TV do this? The more I read about this, the more it seems like the cable companies are making it pointless to get a tv tuner card.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

If a tuner card is what you want...the Hauppauge card you linked to is the one that I would get. The dual tuners allow you to record two different channels at once.

The card itself will record/store files to whichever drive you assign.

I don't know what you mean about recording from a different system...the card connects to coax which connects to either your set-top-box or your cable connection.

Anything that you can get via the set-top-box...can be recorded, saved, and later editied (if that's your choice).

If you don't want a capture card, then you need to consider the "appliances" which all come with DVR capabilities...but may prove troublesome if editing is involved.

I've had ATI All-in-Ones in the past...and I've had 3/4 Hauppauge cards...the Hauppauge cards are better, IMO, perhaps because they do not try to be anything other than a capture card.

Louis

#5 timothy2181

timothy2181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thank you for your help Louis.

What I meant by the using a different system is have 2 different computers, A and B. Computer A is my main computer that I will usually be using. Computer B is my DVR computer with no video card, and a bunch of storage. The two are networked together. I use my main computer(A) to open the shows that reside on computer B's hard drive. My question resides in the fact that computer B has no video card and cannot render 1080p shows. Can it still record them?

Also, my other big question is will I be able to program the card I linked to automatically go to the channel of the show I want, and automatically record, then automatically switch to another channel to record the next show, all without user input? Sorry for all of the "automaticallys" lol.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2011 - 08:09 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

The documentation on the card...tells you the capabilities. I don't have that card, but I have looked at it as possible purchase...and I have a Hauppauge card...so I can only speak of the differences I have noted. The software accompanying the card determines the specifics of captureing. I use either Pinnacle or Ulead software for editing video I capture via my Hauppauge card.

Your setup is atypical and I really can't imagine it...a system without a video card is pretty incomprehensable in my world :).

I guess that I don't understand...why you would use two systems, rather than just adding a storage drive to one system. My systems are networked but each has a capture card and the full complement of system hardware that I use, so I don't really understand just what you want to do.

It would seem to me that saving captureed video files on a networked drive...would be immensely inferior to saving such on an attached drive, due to limitations of network speeds.

I can't speak of programming scheduled captures, cince I don't do that...I do all of mine manually, at the system. But...the documentation for the card/software should cover that.

Louis

#7 timothy2181

timothy2181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

The network is a LAN, so it is gigabit speed, not slower. I use a second system so my main system doesn't get too hot. I have two video cards and a processor, all overclocked, in my system. I also have an extra tower so I may as well put it to use. I am thinking I only need a somewhat decent cpu. I don't think I need a video card capable of HD graphics, but I am trying to find out for sure.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2011 - 10:44 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users