Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very strange/coincidental happenings

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Trenchcoat14

Trenchcoat14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Home computer (HP G71-340), Windows 7 64bit, Norton security suite (free from Comcast) and SAS Professional. I am the only one that uses the computer. Nobody else has a possibility of accessing this computer (physically at least). I use a Linksys G router.

I was on Firefox the other Monday morning about 2am when I had to go do something else. I exited firefox, and turned off the computer. I came back about 5 minutes later and turned computer back on. When it came up, the Firefox desktop icon had been renamed to "crac". This was extremely weird (I never rename desktop icons and nobody else was in my house). I deleted the icon and simply created a new shortcut to Firefox. Today I used the computer this morning, left it alone for a few hours and came back. There was a new desktop shortcut to the "Network and Sharing Center" in the control panel. The funny thing is that I went there for probably the first time in a year yesterday, trying to figure out what in the heck could have happened to my computer for somebody or something to have gotten in and renamed Firefox into "crac".

I have a very strong suspicion that somebody locally has hired somebody to watch me and break into my computer. I don't know why I think this but I am very paranoid about it. There are no other signs of a virus or spyware on my computer. It is running like it did the first day I got it. I do know about the "netstat -ano" command and used it to find out that there were 2 established ports through Itunes helper and AppleMobileDevices.exe (or something similar). I had shut down all other programs. I don't know what that means though. Right now as I type there are none other than me on Firefox. I just don't see how or why this would have happened without some kind of hacker getting into my computer and watching what I am doing. Could they have copied and taken my files? If so my life could possibly be ruined.

Please help me with this I am not sleeping at all. Since Monday I have been reading article after article and constantly monitoring netstat. It is literally killing me. What could have possibly happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users