Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To Both A Homegroup AND Intwernet Ntwk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Think I've done something fundamentally wrong (don't know what's happening).

Currently: have desktop (W7, 64bit) and laptop (W7, 32) with desktop plugged to SMC router. Get Internet at laptop wirelessly ... Network/Sharing Center says Internet Network is a Home Network and laptop is 'joined'. Also have a Homegroup (created at desktop) to Share the local printer. Manually joined Homegroup at laptop and all was good (until rebooted).

Have used the Internet 'connection' for months but now wife want to use laptop so want the printer to be shared.

Messed up initially and created the homegroup at laptop but then realized mistake and created homegroup at desktop (sharing printer). Left useless homegroup at laptop and joined new one (specified the password MS chose when hmgp was created) ... local printer was listed in 'Devices & Printers and Test Print worked from laptop.

Rebooted.

Desktop/laptop were connected (as described above in "Currently"). Local printer was not listed. Couldn't figure out how to manually join homegroup so 'left' the homegroup I was in (though wasn't sure I was in one). 'Joined' the newly created one (entered password) and system said 'Join' was successful BUT printer does not show up.

Want to share the printer but don't want the to have to have the desktop turned on just to access the Internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sounds like you just need to start over with both and remove all Homegroup(s). Then make a new Homegroup on one and join with the other.

Want to share the printer but don't want the to have to have the desktop turned on just to access the Internet.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. What does sharing the printer have to do with accessing the internet?

FYI: It doesn't matter which computer the Homegroup is created on (although a stationary desktop makes more sense because it is always there). As long as both are sharing printers, it should work.

Example: you start the Homegroup on the laptop and join the desktop to it. The printer hooked up to the desktop is shared with the laptop through the Homegroup and all is fine.

The opposite would work as well (start Homegroup on desktop, join with laptop, laptop uses printer that is shared by desktop).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users