Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet/Update Hangs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have an installation of Bodhi Linux on this Toshiba Satellite Laptop. It has 2GB RAM. I'm dual-booting and the other OS is Vista.

The problem with Bodhi (which uses Ubuntu LTS) is with updates and web browsing. I have used both Chrome and Firefox and the same problem occurs. Some web pages take an eternity to load and others not at all. This is with a wireless connection, by the way. It's almost like some pages are blacklisted. HTTPS pages wont load at all. Updating via the terminal hangs and also via synaptic. The problem occurs whether there are no add-ons installed as well as with. The connection (wireless) is excellent.

Below is the output of lspci.....

00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Device 5a31 (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller (rev 80)
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (rev 80)
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 82)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller (rev 80)
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge (rev 80)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev 80)
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
09:01.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
09:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
09:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)

Searching this issue mainly turns up problems with Toshiba laptops having a wireless connection at all with Linux and I don't think I've seen one of those resolved yet. That though, obviously isn't the issue here.

I have reinstalled the OS, in case something was wrong with the installation, I've installed wicd and rolled back the kernel. Still the same problem exists. Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on this.

Regards

mrfingerz

Edited by mrfingerz, 20 July 2011 - 06:40 PM.

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I don't know about with Bodhi (never used it). But I know I've had problems with Ubuntu in the past. Not like you're describing, though. But it may be related.

Sometimes the machine (both netbook and desktop) would be so tied up with processing something, the load would reach 5, 6 or even 7 (take a look at top in a terminal when this happens to you). When that happened it could take forever to open the browser, or forever to load a single page.

It was normally down to the power manager. When I killed that, things improved.

It wouldn't show the problem as being power management in top except a spike to the top of the list every now and then. It usually showed a high CPU use by Firefox and maybe another thing or two. But when I killed the Gnome power manager, the load would drop. Most of the time I could restart it again and everything would be OK.

I had a startup script that would run when I logged in. It did several things, but one of them was to kill the power manager and restart it (I think had to fix sudoers to allow it to happen without a password, but maybe I misremember that part). After I did that everything ran smooth most of the time.

The problem wasn't with a single version of Ubuntu. It happened with at least 4 of them (one was UNR, and I also used the same version of regular Ubuntu, so basically they were the same one). But I never had that problem with Mint or any of the other *buntus. Only the Gnome version and the Gnome power management. I don't use straight Ubuntu any more, so I don't think I have the script. I'd have to boot up a live CD or something to get the name for certain, but I believe it was gnome-power-manager.

That may not be your problem at all. But it's worth looking at.

#3 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Well I ran Ubuntu 10.04 and Mint Julia from cds on the computer today and the internet behaved in exactly the same way. Connected fine, but wouldn't load certain pages at all.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Is the ath5k driver getting loaded? (lsmod | grep ath5k)

#5 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for your replies. I'm not at the offending computer at the moment, I'll let you know that one tomorrow.

#6 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:03 AM

Means very little to me, but the output is.........

ath5k 144934 0
ath 19384 1 ath5k
mac80211 267622 1 ath5k
cfg80211 153357 3 ath5k,ath,mac80211

#7 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

That's what I wanted to know. Some people have been getting the ath9k driver loaded instead and that has been causing problems similar to what you describe.

If it's possible, take a couple of different live CDs (say, one Ubuntu version and maybe something different, like Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint) and run those. See if you're getting the same behavior on those as you do with Bodhi.

Since Ubuntu is the same line, it's possible you'll get the same result. Maybe not, though. Because of that possibility, though, it would be a good idea to run something entirely different to see if the problem is in that, too. Of those I listed, PCLinuxOS is probably the best choice since it's both a different line, and it's pretty easy to work with (Fedora can be easy or a bear; Mint was from the same line, but has begin separating itself).

What I'm trying to determine is if this is possibly hardware problems (Toshibas, some models, are notoriously troubling for linux) or something to do with Bodhi.

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Well I have installed Bodhi on another laptop from the same cd and there are no problems with it. On the Toshiba, it only works online when wired. As I said, I have tried Ubuntu lts and Mint from live cds. So thus far only Ubuntu derivatives. I shall give PCLinux a go. I really want to run either Bodhi or Ubuntu on the computer though. I think it's gotta be a driver compatibility issue, but one that I have no idea about. I shall let you know how PcLinux runs.

#9 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

I ran the live cd of PCLinux on the laptop and that displays the same behaviour. :(

#10 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

It has to be a problem hardware-wise, then

As I alluded to earlier, some Toshiba laptops are problematic for linux. I'm not sure why, but my bet is Toshiba plays fast and loose with the hardware to make it work really well with Windows, but those same tweaks cause linux problems. Sort of like Winprinters, which need specific input from software to make the hardware act right.

It looks like you got bit by a bad deal.

However, there may be another way. And that's using the Toshiba driver with ndiswrapper, or even using madwifi. The former should already be in the repositories. The latter used to be in the restricted modules. I don't know if it still is or not. Either way, I've never had to use either, so you'll probably need to read up on them to see what they can do for you if anything. Here's the madwifi page. As I say, ndiswrapper should be in the repositories. Documentation for it will be there as well, or it can be found via google pretty easily.

#11 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Yeah I thought that was the route I was heading down to be honest. I'd heard of those, but hadn't looked in to them as yet. Thanks for the link and your replies.

#12 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

Got around to installing ndiswrapper (finally)..... Found the appropriate driver and installed, everything was looking good. However it made little difference, wireless is still useless. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users