Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Login Locked by Russian Text Image

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charliev1

charliev1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

A friend running XP Pro can't log on to his desktop because a large image with Russian text on it is blocking the login screen and locked the computer. The Russian text demands a payment in ruples before you supposedly receive the unlock password. I ran UBCD4WIN and scanned for viruses and malware. None found. I ran A/V boot CDs from AVG and other companies but nothing was found. I replaced KERNEL32.DLL from the original XP SP3 install CD and ran FIXMBR from the recovery console. Again, no help. Booting into the safe mode does not help. I created a boot CD and unlocked and changed passwords from this site: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ Again, no help. Attached is a copy of the Russian text image. Any help much appreciated. Charlie

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 charliev1

charliev1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

I solved the problem by doing a repair install of XP Pro after I had backed up all of the data files to a flash drive by booting from Bart PE builder. XP warned that all documents may be deleted, but none were. The repair install from the original XP Pro CD deleted all Windows files, then continued like a first time installation of XP. That solved the problem. The hard drive's data remained intact, but the programs will have to be installed. Once the XP installation was complete, all Microsoft high priority updates and MSE installed, I downloaded the most recent MBAM and ran it. MBAM found the malicious malware file: 22CC6C32.exe in this folder: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\22CC6C32.exe This is a very bad malicious malware that comes attached to a message. Good luck with anyone else who gets infected with this.

Chalrie

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

Thank you for posting back :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users