Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Format Converter Fail!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer long time no see. This is the first issue i've needed help with in a while, but I knew just where to turn =)

So here is my issue, at the company I work for we run office '97(yeah I know, buts its stable and it works). When we receive the lovely new word format .docx we have been forced to use one of the File Format Converters that was supplied by Microsoft. This has worked on every computer up to this point ,but today when I tried to install it on a new computer all it will do is open a new blank document of whatever type it tried to open. Say we get a .docx the converter runs, and opens a new word document called document1 same with excel .xlsx = new .xls opened. I'm at a loss this is the same converter I have used on several of these exact machines, same internal part configurations even, what is different about this one that would make it cease to work.

This computer run windows XP Sp3, with Office 97 SR2 and is fully updated.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

It maybe time to upgrade to office 2000 or 2003

#3 hamluis

hamluis