Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux to netbook

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 steingis

steingis

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

i recently got a netbook with windows 7 trial version on and want to put an o/s on it probably ubuntu(this is a good one for beginners yes?).
is it easy for a complete novice to do this and will it go on my netbook

( acer aspire one AOA 150-AB model zg5 storage is 120 gb ram has been upgraded to 1.5gb from 512mb )

Edited by steingis, 20 July 2011 - 12:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Install Wubi on it first, before installing a live distro. With Wubi you can remove Linux like a Windows application.

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

See here an ubuntu community page on your netbook

I would recommend xubuntu 10.04 and either a clean install or a dual-boot and not (forgive me, cryptodan) Wubi.

Best wishes.

Edited by pane-free, 20 July 2011 - 03:20 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Why do you not recommend Wubi? Wubi would install Ubuntu and then they can see if there are any conflicts without the possibility of losing their drive. I use Wubi on two of my systems and it works well provides everything you would need a Linux Environment.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I've mentioned this before, but I've never let that stop me before!

I also have an Acer netbook. I got it about a year ago, and it had Windows XP on it. I bought a new hard drive (there's a good selection for under $50), replaced the drive in the netbook, and installed Ubuntu on it. This way, if I decided I didn't like it I could swap the XP drive back in -- and I could also swap the XP drive back in if I decided to sell the netbook.

A few months ago I finally got around to buying a housing for the hard drive I removed, and now I have an external hard disk for back-ups. I'm very happy with it! :thumbup2:

#6 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

i had a look into wubi before and it looked ok if i already had a decent windows o/s on my computer then it would be an option but i want to get rid of this demo version of windows 7
and start a fresh. i still like xp over windows7 i have that on my main laptop dont want to pay out for an old o/s and thought is try ubuntu while i have a clean slate and see how it is .

whats this "losing their drive talk" sounds terrifying?

#7 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

thanks for that link pane free so it looks like i have to manually make adjustments after installing its not as simple as install and away we go. are those adjustments basic to do?

#8 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

I bought an Acer used (still had warranty) close to 2 years ago. I replaced the drive, but only because I wanted a bigger, faster one, and I wanted to keep the other one as-is in case of warranty problems.

I've used linux a number of years anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to put a distro on it. Some work better than others, but I've tried relatively heavy ones down to super light ones and never really had a problem. Except, with some of them different hardware sometimes gave me problems. especially wireless.

My favorites are Mint (LXDE version) and Peppermint (LXDE by default). But as a long time user I found I prefer lighter desktops that might take a little more work to get them just the way I like them. So Mint in Gnome or KDE versions might be better for a beginner.

As a new user, I'd say Ubuntu (pre-Unity, meaning pre-11.04), PCLinuxOS (this gave me trouble with the SATA drive and booting from thumb drive, but I think that's been fixed), Ubuntu Netbook Remix (didn't like the launcher myself, but it's pretty simple for new users), Lubuntu (LXDE again), Mint or Peppermint (both of those because they pretty much have everything, including things that give people fits sometimes on Ubuntu) would be fairly decent starter distros. They're not the only ones by any means. But I think they're decent enough ones for beginners.

As easy as it is to do, you should definitely make a separate /home partition that can be reused across distros, then play a little with several to see which suits your tastes more. You can try them out with just the live versions, except you lose settings when you reboot or shut down. A separate /home can be reused and save the settings from distro to distro.

That's my opinion. I'm a long way from being a beginner, though, so I may not be thinking enough like one.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Wubi will possibly identify any driver issues.

#10 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

heavy and light desktops??? puzzled already mate if your referring to all different types of software to put on it then lighter the better as ill only be using it for internet downloading and streaming and puttin mp3s and pictures on to it.

ill give that a try crytpo thanks.

#11 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

forgot to mention it came with a linux v1.0.13 dvd

it says on the dvd the software included on this dvd was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your acer computer system performance of the software is the sole responsibility of acer inc.

Edited by steingis, 22 July 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#12 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

@cryptodan
re: Wubi -- why make linux dependent on Windows? This does not make sense to me, convenience is not necessarily a priority (for me, at least -- and my handle gives a clue).

@Capn Easy -- this approach (multiple hard drives) makes the most sense for those not inconvenienced by changing them. I used this method to learn different distros and at one time had five hard drives for my Shuttle KPC.

@OP -- getting familiar with the boot loader is always a good idea; this one took me a while to work up the courage to tackle, but it has paid off. Otherwise, the adjustments are simple, IMO.

If by "desktops" one means Desktop Environments, XFCE is about a s "heavy" as I go. Here is a place to start.

Does the "gis" in your handle signify your work, perhaps?
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Pane-Free, it would identify possible driver issues with their notebook.

#14 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Pane-Free, it would identify possible driver issues with their notebook.

Alright, I'll concede you point, cryptodan.
I have found .rar files containing all needed drivers for a friend's netbook with just a little searching, nonetheless.
W. C. Fields

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

On linux drivers usually come in .tar.gz, tar.bz2, or tar files not RAR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users