Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google warning users of malware infection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

If you see a notification above your Google search results that your computer is infected with malware, itís probably best to take it seriously - the search giant has identified traffic patterns consistent with infection, and itís letting users know that they need to take action.

The malware in question routes Google traffic through a small number of proxies, according to the official blog entry. If Googleís search engine detects that youíre coming to them through these intermediaries, itíll display a banner notification (pictured right) in hopes that youíll fix the problem.

Full article here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/google-warning-users-of-malware-infection/3145

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, KBN. That message could easily be mistaken for a fake alert if described. :)
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

:thumbup2:

Just wonder how long it will be before the malware writers start having "warnings" of their own like these. :whistle:

It's a nice thought, but I just wonder how effective this is going to be...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 mooncrow

mooncrow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hello everyone ...
I recently was infected with "startnow" ad-ware that I picked up through a download for Chrome browser. I had to change my homepage back to what it was not only through Internet Options but in all the browsers I use. IE wasn't affected other than a startnow tool bar showing up which I uninstalled. As a follow up, I contacted Malwarebytes support and they looked at my system, and said that it looked like I got it all but that I should run ComboFix to make sure something wasn't lurking. That worked great and it appears all it well now. The Malwarebytes support team is awesome!

Am I supposed to copy and paste the ComboFix log somewhere on this site? I think I saw a request for that during the procedure, but I don't know where to post it. Thanks.
Imagination is just a "click" away ...

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Am I supposed to copy and paste the ComboFix log somewhere on this site? I think I saw a request for that during the procedure, but I don't know where to post it. Thanks.

Hello the forum section you would post your logs would be this one here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

It is always best to run combofix with the professional supervision from one our our trained MRT staff members.

The general rule for posting combofix logs is the following: DO NOT RUN ComboFix unless requested to do so by a MRT staff member or trained Moderator.

The forum you would start your opening topic (minus the logs) would be in this forum here called Am I Infected? What do I do?: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Please DO NOT post any logs in the AII forum except for MalewareBytes or other anti-virus scanning tools logs, post what you feel is wrong with your computer.
When a staff member decides you need to post a Combofix log and perform a thorough cleaning for Malware or virus infection, they will instruct you to start a new thread in the first forum I linked you to above.

Hope this answers your question.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 July 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users