Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card and widescreen compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 williamL

williamL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

I recently purchased a 27-inch LCD widescreen monitor to complement my 17-inch laptop screen. So far the 27-incher doesn't work so well, constantly resetting the image as it tries to find the optimum settings. A suggestion has been made to me that my video card has insufficient capacity (too weak) to support such a beast.
The video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD2300 resident within my SONY VAIO laptop, model VGN-BX41VN with an Intel 2Duo T7300 @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, and is 32 bit. I am using Windows Vista Business.
The Samsung site is not helpful, there is no mention of minimum requirements to run this monitor. I really want to have a big monitor, but naturally do not want to have to buy a new laptop just to achieve that objective, so I need a clearer understanding of what specification is the minimum to support the load of a 27inch monitor.

Maybe the issue is not the video card, but rather the chip set, or memory, or whatever.

Looking for enlightenment to help me resolve this problem. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

WLW

Edited by williamL, 20 July 2011 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Monitors come with a default/best resolution setting.

If your video card/chip cannot approximate that setting...then you might have the issues I interpret from your description.

You probably just need to set the resolution for your video output from card/chip...to approximate the monitor's default.

The card/chip setting is variable...the monitor should not be expected to adjust to the output from the system.

Louis

#3 williamL

williamL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hamluis, thanks.
I solved the problem by swapping big screens with my wife, giving her the 27incher and taking her 25incher. It seems her old desktop has a more powerful video card than my newer laptop.
Case closed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback, glad it's resolved...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users