Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Error While Trying to Access Site

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

At work we have a proxy server set up that blocks most non work related web sites. However, we will allow certain sites requested by users if we see it as safe.

A user at work wanted access to a college web site and it was approved so I added the website to our allowed list on the web gateway. After this she was able to log into the site, but when she had to click on a link within the site to view assignments it seemed like it was going to come up, but a page comes up saying "Server Error: Try refreshing your browser if that does not work please sign in again. if problem persist contact helpdesk." I tried refreshing the page and the user tried logging in again but still says the same thing. I know it is not the website because the user can get to the page fine on our DSL connection, so I know it is something to do with our network.

I know that when she clicks the link it tries going to another page within the site and I have also added that to the web gateway allowed list. Normally if it is because the gateway is blocking the site it will show that, but in this case it is only giving that error above.

I know the server is timing out that is why I am getting the message. I am fairly new at a lot of this, but before asking any co-workers can anyone give me any insight or troubleshooting methods to fix this. I don't know what else to do because I added the sites to the allowed list on the web gateway. I know that turning the proxy of on the user workstation is not a option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

What proxy are you using, and also see if you can get a list of IP's for this college, and just add the ones that host things?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users