Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random System restarts

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 psychofluff

psychofluff

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Firstly here is my system info:

Shuttle xpc 76v2,
1055t 95w Phenom ii 6 core,
Corsair xms 6400 2x2gb ddr2 ram,
WD veloceraptor 150gb,
WD basic hdd 1.5tb,
Windows Vista sp2 (64bit),
Onboard video (ati hd3000) though this issue also accours with my gts450 single slot nvidia card installed.

My system worked for about a month, I have owned it for 3 now... basically it restarts constantly whenever I try to run a video (I.E Youtube, hulu or internet explorer) its random and will sometimes work for hours and sometimes minutes so I dont think it's a heating issue.

Here is what I know, the system does not blue screen (even with event viewer there is no information other than "system restarted unexpectidly") I have taken the video card out of my system and get this issue with the onboard video (which is far to basic for gaming) I have replaced the system completely with a new motherboard, power supply (both the shuttle psu and a 650w external from my main system), different ram and hard drive combinations.
This system offers very little/no room for any bios adjustments, except the ram timings which are all automatically set correctly. I have ran pc doctor 7.5 and passed every test on every component, even a stress test over night with no errors so I have to assume the issue is either the CPU or something with Windows Vista (the CPU is litterally the only part I have not been able to replace and test on another system).

Also I have reinstalled Windows Vista 3 times on 2 separate hard drives, with no difference to the rebooting issues.

Can anyone offer any advice as I have tried for 2 months changing everything I can think of and am about ready to buy a smaller CPU and hope that the 1055t is just over powering the system (though it is on the aproved/tested list from Shuttle)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Have you updated to the latest version of Flash Player from Adobe's website? Are your video card drivers up to date? Latest version of Internet Explorer?

You mentioned you tried a few video cards, which leads me to believe that this is a software issue. Make sure that everything's up to date :thumbup2:

Edited by Ryan 3000, 19 July 2011 - 10:05 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Y5tP4KqmobSA8EkbCXiXmzy

#5 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

Yes my video drivers are up to date, and I have the latest flash player installed. I also have Internet explorer 9, though I have tried 7/8 as well with the same issues... With both the onboard and PCIe Video card I get the same problems (Nvidia gts450 and Onboard ATI hd3000)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

What kind of power supply do you have, and have you dusted the computer out with a can of air?

#7 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

The Shuttle case comes with a 250w PSU however I have the same issues with a 650w I used from my main pc... it's brand new as the Shuttle company replaced it for me less than a week ago after I complained the motherboard may have been faulty (however as this is still an issue I wonder if my CPU could be faulty or if the motherboard just cant handle my cpu, which is on the manufacters web site aproved list)

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

To mitigate a heat issue remove all the components and assemble them on a rubber mat or cardboard box and turn the machine on.

What kind of power supply as in the brand and model number.

#9 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/XPC_accessory.html

PC40
SILENTX 250W PSU
PC40 is an amazing 250W ultra-silent PSU with High efficiency and high reliability. The Smart Fan & Silent Fan Control and better airflow with new layout design make SilentX cooler than others. The aluminum case design is easy to get rid of power supply heat. Worldwide safety and EMI/RFI approved, Quality Assurance is no doubt.

This is a special small form power supply and as I mentioned I recently replaced the motherboard + PSU and reseated the CPU cooler (ICE2 cooler) with more thermal paste. When the system reboots after a few seconds in windows I find it hard to beleive it's a heat issue but have checked that with the case off and nothing installed but a cpu and usb diagnostic tool which stress tested the system for over 12 hours with no issues at all.

Also I can turn the CPU fan to max and it cools the cpu temp down at least 10 degree's (noisey but definately drops the systems temp) also to no effect.

Edited by psychofluff, 19 July 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

well with the case off/opened up you are disrupting the air flow which can prove/provide false reporting of temperatures.

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#11 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

The cpu fan is a heat plate which has a fan venting at the back of the case, I replaced and reseated that with new thermal compound a few days ago before I tried a new hard drive and system restore. I have also ran memtests and after 10-12 hours it had passed several full scans of the ram. The only thing I have found similar is that my main machine does the same thing with the GTS450 video card when I place that into the system instead of my 5770, however these issues remain with even the onboard video (which is all thats installed since my system restore).

#12 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:00 AM

Just had 3 more restarts in less than 5 minutes while doing nothing more than checking this forum & emails... system has been on maybe 15 minutes at most idling and yesterday I was here for 2 hours with no issues...

I dont have a dvd in this pc so will try to make a usb bootable drive if one is availible for memtest however I have tested this system outside of windows with no issues which makes me confused.

Also there are no blue screen issues reported or dumped to memory, which made me think of power when this first happened but now it is whenever the computer wants to frustrate me and not when I draw power like loading a game/run a big test.

Edited by psychofluff, 20 July 2011 - 06:01 AM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

Remove all components then assemble them outside the case and turn the computer off. I am thinking there is a short.

#14 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

I have thought of a short also but this is the second time I have rebuilt this pc, with a new motherboard AND new power supply. Also a short would show up under stress testing and cpu intense tests not just randomly in windows.

The case itself does not move or have any loose cables, I can use it sometimes for hours sometimes minutes before this issue arrises.

Edited by psychofluff, 20 July 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#15 psychofluff

psychofluff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

System restarts the same in safe mode as well as normal for windows vista which makes me think there must be some kind of hardware issue, however I am at a loss to think of something new I haven't already tried & sadly the Shuttle xpc motherboard does not allow for underclocking to test if the system is stable on lower power/voltages on CPU-Z i get a max TDP of 106w and the system is rated for a max of 95w could this me a sign the cpu is overclocked from the factory or simply drawing too much power?

This morning I tried to run everything I owned to check the cpu and watched the cpu run (and this took alot to get it to max out, this cpu is a monster!!!) 6 cores and turbo boost for a good 30+ minutes but then as soon as I got home from work it crashed on something as simple as checking my online bank account & emails.

And I almost forgot monitoring the cpu temps stress testing the cpu & the system stayed at 127f (50c) max and moved maybe 1 degree up/down so stayed very cool.

Edited by psychofluff, 22 July 2011 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users