Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot browse to the server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Osoreru

Osoreru

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

I've run into quite a problem, and I really need some help. I'll try to be as detailed as possible here:

Yesterday afternoon, a computer in a Workgroup setting (Windows XP Home, service pack 3 on most of the computers in the network, Windows 7 professional on the computer that acts as the server for this small business) completely lost the ability to browse to the server. All other computers in the network can still access the server and server shared folders with no problem.

Here's where it gets strange though. I can ping the server by name and by IP address with no packet loss. I can also still open up the business database and pull in information from the server through it. I can browse to any other computer on the network, and I can still see the server listed among the workgroup computers. When I try to access it though, I get the following error: \\Server is not available. Access Denied, The specified network name is no longer available.

I've gone through every forum and every microsoft article I could find, and the only possible solution I've found was dealing with Symantec Endpoint Protection software. There's apparently a known bug with the program that can cause this issue. So I completely uninstalled the program, but I'm still having the issue. I'm going to contact Symantec and hope they can provide a solution for me as well, but I'm really hoping that somebody has an answer for me so I can get this resolved. It's become somewhat of a nightmare.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

How did you remove Symantec, and what happens when you do the following in Start and Run

\\IPaddressofserver

#3 Osoreru

Osoreru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

How did you remove Symantec, and what happens when you do the following in Start and Run

\\IPaddressofserver

I followed (or at least I did my best to follow) the instructions for removal of it that were offered on the Symantec website. Where it said to uninstall the program and then delete the registry keys from the registry. There is of course always the possibility that I either missed something, or something went wrong with the uninstallation and it didn't change the settings. I'll have to try to go to start, run and type the IP address of the server like you said tomorrow and see what happens, but when I did something similar (I tried a lot of different ways to browse to the server), I either got the same error message, or just some lag and then nothing at all happened.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

I would recommend running this: Norton/Symantec Removal Tool.

#5 Osoreru

Osoreru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

I would recommend running this: Norton/Symantec Removal Tool.

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow as well. I was looking for that earlier and for some reason couldn't find a working link for it, though it's been an extremely long day and I admit I didn't look very hard after all the other issues I had to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users