Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:41 PM
I've run into quite a problem, and I really need some help. I'll try to be as detailed as possible here:
Yesterday afternoon, a computer in a Workgroup setting (Windows XP Home, service pack 3 on most of the computers in the network, Windows 7 professional on the computer that acts as the server for this small business) completely lost the ability to browse to the server. All other computers in the network can still access the server and server shared folders with no problem.
Here's where it gets strange though. I can ping the server by name and by IP address with no packet loss. I can also still open up the business database and pull in information from the server through it. I can browse to any other computer on the network, and I can still see the server listed among the workgroup computers. When I try to access it though, I get the following error: \\Server is not available. Access Denied, The specified network name is no longer available.
I've gone through every forum and every microsoft article I could find, and the only possible solution I've found was dealing with Symantec Endpoint Protection software. There's apparently a known bug with the program that can cause this issue. So I completely uninstalled the program, but I'm still having the issue. I'm going to contact Symantec and hope they can provide a solution for me as well, but I'm really hoping that somebody has an answer for me so I can get this resolved. It's become somewhat of a nightmare.