Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Distorted and Cannot Keep and Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 schildkraut1

schildkraut1

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hello there, I am running XP with SP3. At some point a few weeks ago the sound (at startup and at all other times) became distorted, choppy-like. More recently, but I believe related, I can't keep an internet connection. It is fine for an hour or two, but then craps out. The connection returns with a restart of the computer. I am connected directly to a cable modem. The connection is stable on my other computers.

This is a Dell Mini 10. I'd rather not call their support because of their four-strikes-you're-done clause for their warranties.

So, thanks for reading. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 schildkraut1

schildkraut1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZTtIA85JfidmSbPfdIOBxn2

That was pretty neat! Is this laptop about to set on fire?? It looks like its temps are very high. I should mention it runs very slowly.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

I would try cleaning it out with a can of air, and I would also recommend if you can get a bit more RAM.

#5 schildkraut1

schildkraut1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

You think that more RAM would solve the sound and internet connection issues?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

It would help solve your issues, but cleaning your computer out can help the distortion also keeping things updated.

#7 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

At some point a few weeks ago the sound (at startup and at all other times) became distorted, choppy-like. More recently, but I believe related, I can't keep an internet connection. It is fine for an hour or two, but then craps out. The connection returns with a restart of the computer. I am connected directly to a cable modem. The connection is stable on my other computers.

This is a Dell Mini 10. I'd rather not call their support because of their four-strikes-you're-done clause for their warranties.

4 strikes you are out? I have never seen this.

It might be the sound bar, what you can do to test the soundbar is plug in speakers...

I do not think it is dust unless your pc can clock back its performance. But please always dust them out. Dust causes over heating that can cause damage to your pc. For example some models of hp laptops if they get dust they will get to hot and weaken the solder and let the GPU slip out.

The guy in the last post was right 1gb of ram is a little low to be streaming stuff. With a fresh install of xp you should be able to stream whatever you want with 1gb of ram. Have you added any new programs? Have you added toolbars? What happens with streaming it has to buffer it in the ram if you do not have enough ram it will slow down the buffering and make it choppy. An easy way to test this is boot into safe mode play it. If the sound is solid you know it is something starting up in normal that is either causing a problem with your pc or you are using too much ram at idle and most mini 10 can handle 2gb of ram. If it does not work let me know we will go a little deeper. If you get me more info I can try to help more.

Without more info all I can say is call their help line. I have had problems like this with the Dell minis. It could be the sound bar or the motherboard. These are the issues I have seen in the past outside overstressing the system or infections. I do not recommend your average person to crack open a mini. I hate working inside minis most the time I make them send a tech out. This is why we pay for the warranty.

Edited by Tendoncs, 20 July 2011 - 02:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users