Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skipped copying of files during XP installation; CD drive not functioning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rei Santino

Rei Santino

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

My XP installation disks are very scratched up and I got the message "Setup cannot copy the file[...]" several times on what I recall being "CDMEDIA.HL_" and "CDMEDIA.CH_" and MAYBE one other that I can't remember (believe it was two or three files) during setup, so I skipped the files. I figured that would screw with my CD drive, and sure enough, when I got Windows running it wouldn't even recognize my CD drive. The funny thing is, my CD drive still functions as far as opening and closing and even blinking lights, so this is clearly a software problem caused by the lack of those critical system files. Knowing that, I downloaded an XP installation disc online and took the file I suspected were missing and put them into the proper directory (C:\WINDOWS\system32), but to no avail. I rebooted and the CD drive is still not working. I was reading online and tried to use the "sfc /scannow" command to scan for missing files. It said there were some missing, but I had to insert an XP disc to fix it! Talk about a catch-22. :(

Can anyone help? I really don't want to have to reinstall windows (and can't if this isn't fixed anyways as I'll just have the same problem). I have no access to any other copies of XP in disk form nor any writable disks to burn the existing copy I do have so yeah.

Edited by Rei Santino, 19 July 2011 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Try and clean them with a baby wipe.

#3 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Try and clean them with a baby wipe.

I've cleaned them with everything I could think of. I used a small amount of toothpaste to no avail. They're just scratched really badly, I'm surprised I was able to copy the other files and install windows.

Any other suggestions or am I screwed? :(

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Never ever use toothpaste as toothpaste contains very small abrasive crystals that help polish your teeth. Baby wipes are softer and contain alcohol which evaporates.

#5 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:56 AM

Never ever use toothpaste as toothpaste contains very small abrasive crystals that help polish your teeth. Baby wipes are softer and contain alcohol which evaporates.

The toothpaste I use is called Aim and it's a gel with no mints in it I do not believe. Regardless, I tried a disk cleaner before attempting the tooth paste and that didn't copy the file either. Is there any way to use the file checker without a cd drive to copy the files over with? or to fix this period for that matter, haha.

#6 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

I would think a simple search for your computer model + cd drive drivers should get you going.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

For scratched disks...the dimple solution is to burn a copy, after cleaning it.

If that doesn't produce a readable disc, then I think you need to concentrate on getting a copy of one that is readable.

Louis

#8 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

For scratched disks...the dimple solution is to burn a copy, after cleaning it.

If that doesn't produce a readable disc, then I think you need to concentrate on getting a copy of one that is readable.

Louis

I would prefer to fix this without reinstalling windows, if possible? I tried downloading the CD drivers to no avail.

Edited by Rei Santino, 20 July 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

The CD drivers...are part of the Windows install.

Louis

#10 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

The CD drivers...are part of the Windows install.

Louis

Well whenever I try to instaLl the ones Dell provides me with on their website, I get error messages like "No drive recognized!" My CD-ROM drive is a H-L (brand) CRN-8245B

Anyone have a link to compatible drivers?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

My only advice would be to get new installation cd's.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

"I downloaded an XP installation disc online "
From where? Any copy of XP installation disks downloaded is bootleg.
Microsoft never made any version of Windows available for download.

Go to your local Dollar Store, Big Lots, Walmart etc and see if they have a scratch repair kit.
They are fairly cheap, 10 bucks or so. Take several attempts to buff the scratches out following the manufacturers instructions. You MIGHT be able to repair the disk enough that you can immediately burn a copy that MIGHT be usable.

This is why one should take care of one's cds and keep them in a safe place.

Louis is right that the cdrom drivers are part of the Windows install. No additional drivers are available or required. It is an ATAPI compliant device and Windows should see it. Where did you download cd drivers from?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:17 AM

"I downloaded an XP installation disc online "
From where? Any copy of XP installation disks downloaded is bootleg.
Microsoft never made any version of Windows available for download.

Go to your local Dollar Store, Big Lots, Walmart etc and see if they have a scratch repair kit.
They are fairly cheap, 10 bucks or so. Take several attempts to buff the scratches out following the manufacturers instructions. You MIGHT be able to repair the disk enough that you can immediately burn a copy that MIGHT be usable.

This is why one should take care of one's cds and keep them in a safe place.

Louis is right that the cdrom drivers are part of the Windows install. No additional drivers are available or required. It is an ATAPI compliant device and Windows should see it. Where did you download cd drivers from?

Money's reeeeeally tight here lately, can't really afford to dish out even 10 bucks, as sad as it is to say. :( And yes, it is a bootleg copy.

I got the drivers from Dell's website, but I couldn't really find one for my specific CD-ROM so I just sort of installed all of them.

Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users