Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Tint on Laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vetes

Vetes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

So, I had my computer, then I let it rest for a few hours. When I got back onto my computer, the screen now has a blue tint to it. Sometimes at certain angles, the tint disappears. I checked the video drivers and they are up to date. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Welcome, Vetes! You've described your problem a little vaguely. It would help to have a little more information.
1. What is your computer's make and series?
2. What is your video card series?
3. Does your video card have any options for color calibration? If so, this is a potential fix.
4. Have you tried resetting your computer? Running in safe mode? How have you tried to fix the issue? Perhaps do a factory reset on the monitor?
5. Were you doing anything unusual on your computer or.. any ideas?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 19 July 2011 - 07:23 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Vetes

Vetes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Here's some specs of the laptop:

Laptop Brand and Style: Compaq Presario C700
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2390 1.86 GHz
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

I did try the onboard calibration, which didn't fix it. I also checked the drivers for the onboard video card and they were up to date.

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

If it goes away at certain angles, your cable could be going bad which is pretty common.

#5 Vetes

Vetes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Could I repair it or do I need to get it repaired?

It is way out of the warranty so I know I would have to pay for it.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

You didn't indicate you had many any changes to the hardware, but it's certainly worth a try to install a different monitor cable. I've gotten a blue tint before when the connector pins on my cable got bent. That may be your problem too.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 Vetes

Vetes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

Is there a tutorial online I could see? I've never opened a laptop before.

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Is there a tutorial online I could see? I've never opened a laptop before.

Well, there's something new :blink:
I must be going crazy here. I thought we were talking about a desktop. *looks at the title of the topic* *looks at the multitude of references to a laptop* :whistle:

Things just got a little more complicated, as I've seen quite a few laptops with blue-color issues.

See if mildly twisting the screen's frame fixes the issue, as that would indicate that the internal connection is not fully secure. If that's the case, you'll need to hook up with someone who deals with laptops, to open up your case and re-seat the cable. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'm sure we can think of something.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 19 July 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#9 Vetes

Vetes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

I wonder if it is even worth fixing. This laptop is getting old. Any idea what it would cost to even get it repaired?

#10 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Don't rush to anything, but you might do a little soul-searching about what risks you're willing to take to fix this old hardware. When I was having serious problems with my laptop's screen hinge, I decided to take a little risk and fix it myself. The worst that can happen is you break and have to replace your old hardware. Rest assured, if you have any questions, this is the place to ask. Again, don't hurry into this decision, but if the problem isn't resolved by some other means, it remains an option for you.

As for fixing your problem non-invasively, see if a jiggle or a twist of your laptop's frame fixes anything. If so, an internal cable is loose.

#11 Vetes

Vetes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

I jiggled the frame a little and it temporarily helps. Also, when I push the side of the screen together with my hand, the blue goes away. Also, sometimes the screen gets jumbled and appears as if it losing reception like a TV losing cable reception.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am going to porvide you with some techical information for your laptop from the Compaq web site.

This first link is to the whole support page for your laptop which may prove to be somewhat helpful to you.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3466274

This next link is the most important one, it contains a .pdf version of the service manual for your C700 laptop, that includes exploded views of your C700 laptop fully disassembled, this is very helpful when you need to disassemble your laptop to check on possible corroded or loose connections. You will need adobe reader 10 to view this document.
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01301275/c01301275.pdf

You can save the document on your desktop if you wish to, so you can reference it again at a later
time.

Any questions please feel free to ask me. :thumbup2:

Kind regards..

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users