Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP boots ONLY in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Random person

Random person

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

I just recently had to do a full restore due to a virus infection. After finally recovering files, docs, etc., I downloaded SP2 (I HATE SP3 - it has never failed to crash my system), and installed it. Now, Windows refuses to run normally - only in safe mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

1) EXACTLY how did you do a full restore?
2) You absolutely should ALWAYS have the most recent service pack installed.

#3 Random person

Random person
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

HP has a "System restore" functionality that takes my computer's SW state back to the day I got it. That's what I did.
Would LOVE to have had SP3 - but I've tried it twice, and twice my machine's utterly failed to reboot after the install. ANd when the latest simply doesn't work...

#4 Troycity

Troycity

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hello,

You might want to check your start up items. In XP , Run, MSCONFIG, then start up.
Uncheck as a process of elimination, then reboot. Eventualy, windows should boot in normal mode.

Then make sure you do all the microsoft update until it says "no more important updates available".

Hope this help.

Cheers.

#5 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

How did you back up your data? you may have backed up infections too. It may have infected your system restore as well.

Please boot your system hit f8 so it will give you options on how you want to start up windows. Please click "disable automatic restart on system failure" and boot into normal mode you may be getting a blue screen for drivers. If that is the case boot into safe mode and uninstall that driver then restart.

As said above you should always have the latest update. "(I HATE SP3 - it has never failed to crash my system" SP2 isnt doing you any better. If you are having a problem with sp3 you should try not using the recovery partition I have seen older recovery paritions that when you restore from them they have nothing but problems with new SP/updates. I always recomend installing fresh from a disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users