Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstall motherboard drivers from recovery console

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 portlandian

portlandian

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

This is not a specific problem I'm having now but one i've run into many many times in the past, and when my friend told me he used to do it in Win98 I realized, maybe you could do it now!

I only put this in the Win XP forum because that is the era of computers most likely to have a motherboard die and thus leaving a user who wants their windows back without a reformat. In the past, my only solution was to get a motherboard with the same northbridge and hope windows would be able to boot so I could install the correct drivers.

In doing early searches i see you can use the command listsvc to see drivers available to enable or disable from recovery console, so it seems entirely possible to create a script of some sort that would modify your OS to go back to the same drivers it has on a 'first boot' situation (like right after an OS install from a generic XP cd.)

Unfortunately that all goes above my current knowingness so I thought I would check and see if anyone else has already cracked this puzzle or has any hints. Another avenue I'll have to check, does that UBCD4WIN have the option to uninstall drivers from the HD's OS?

hmmm...

Any and all help or participation is appreciated :D

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2011 - 03:38 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 portlandian

portlandian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

well, i found a retail product that does exactly what i want, they call it hardware independent restore, and it looks like in their IT edition (super expensive edition) of their software you can take a HD from a machine, it will modify windows, and when you plug it into a new hardware environment it will recognize new hardware and continue operating. It sounds like it even injects the drivers into the OS for you.

also, i'm about to start testing what I've found that's a command line tool to replace the device manager from MS called devcon. I'm going to see if it will support the idea of uninstalling everything from recovery console then when i go to reboot it will prompt to reinstall everything.

we'll see.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

From what I see...what you are referring is just a feature of backup and disaster recovery software and I believe that you've taken comments out of context.

Be that as it may, it has nothing at all to Windows XP problems/situations that are extraordinary and covered via free or less expensive software.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2011 - 03:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users