Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot Windows XP after using ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kinnison

Kinnison

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or something but it has to do with my computer's Windows XP not booting.

Recently, I was instructed to use ComboFix to remove this Search Redirect Malware problem I had. After restarting the computer and when ComboFix is creating a log file suddenly the computer when on a BSOD and then restarted (I couldn't see the error code because I set it to auto restart), afterward my computer stuck at the Windows boot screen. I tried using all boot options (Normal, Last known good config, all safe mode boot), none of them working and each stuck for quite a time. I don't know if I should wait longer.

I have no idea how to use the Recovery Console for this issue (which ComboFix installed beforehand), it might be my only option so should I use it?

All I know that ComboFix detected a file called sptd.sys or something before it went into deleting a lot of other files which I couldn't manage to jolt down the names, sorry I couldn't provide any detail information about this.

I appreciate any help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

If you have your CF log...I suggest that you attach it to a new post at BC Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html .

You might also review the procedures for that forum as reflected in the Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html .

Informational purposes: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Louis

#3 Kinnison

Kinnison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the reply but oddly enough, after I left my computer off for awhile I seem to be able to boot it up again. Since the Redirect virus still exist in the computer, I assumed ComboFix wasn't able to remove the virus when the BSOD occurred. I'll try to get help for this later.

By the way, checked that there wasn't any CF log in the folder whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users