Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single Core vs Dual Core. Single core has better benchmarks... Why???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hello guys,

I'm a netbook reviewer, and I am actually comparing the Amd Athlon II Neo K125 to the AMD C-50 dual core APU.

I got many opinions from different websites, including Bleepingcomputer, and they all said that the AMD C-50 would be better because of dual-core.

Now I looked at the benchmarks, and surprise, the Neo single core cpu wins with a score of 495 vs 451 for C-50.

Now I want to know... Why?? The AMD Athlon II Neo K125 has 1.7GHZ Single-Core and the AMD C-50 has 1GHZ dual-core.

Freak thing a?

I ask this because I want to explain it in my review.

Thank you very much!

If you guys want my sources, here are both benchmarks:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+C-50

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+Neo+K125

Edited by alpha4345, 19 July 2011 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

A multicore processor does not necessarily guarantee better performance across all tasks. Some tasks cannot be parallelized well (that is, they can't be done as two separate tasks simultaneously and the combined when both processors finish into a final result. For these sorts of tasks, or when the application developer has not written their program with parallelization in mind, a single core processor with a higher clock speed than a dual, tri, quad or more core processor may outperform simply because only one core was actually working on the problem rather than the entire set of cores.

In your particular case, the single core processor operates at close to double the frequency of the dual core processor. So, if the benchmark is not well optimized for multicore processors then that means that you are seeing the results of a comparison between a 1.7GHz processor and only one 1.0GHz processor.

A multicore processor on a netbook may not yield the same level of performance boost as it would on a full desktop or even a full sized laptop. This is because multicore processors really start to shine when the user is running several processor heavy applications at once. On a netbook, you are unlikely going to be doing any heavy multitasking and so the advantages of a multicore are fewer and further between.

#3 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

You'd be surprised, both of those netbooks are able to run Call of duty modern warfare 2 and dragon age 2 smooth all details low (not the resolution). With 4GB of ram, heavy multitasking isn't a problem with both netbooks, I tested.

BTW, it was a pretty complete explanation :) You'll be added in the credits as "Andrew from BleepingComputer" ;)

Thank you very much!

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

On those tiny screens and with a touchpad?! That's BLASPHEMY!

Be sure to give me a link to the review so I can brag to all my friends! :grinner:

#5 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Ahhah, great one!

Of course I will! :) It should be out in August 24 on IGN canada.

(yes, it is REALLY long to submit a video on IGN! But you always get a lot of views...)

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:25 AM

Link it to me too :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

If you guys wonder which netbook won the fight, It's draw:

The netbook with AMD C-50 boots faster, unpack rar files faster and is faster for file browsing/managing than the Neo cpu, but the Neo cpu has better gaming performances and handles 1080p video greater, thanks to the ATI HD 4225 dedicated GPU... Both can be upgraded at 4GB DDR3 RAM and has 1MB L2 cache with HyperTransport 3.0.

I actually own the Athlon II Neo netbook, so my friend who has the C-50 is kinda surprised xD

But there is one disavantage for the Neo CPU -the price-

Price for Neo netbooks: ~349$ CAD

Price for the C-50 netbooks: ~249$ CAD

All of the content will be in the video :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users