Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sharondk

sharondk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

HELP!!!!!!!!
My Toshiba Notepad keeps coming up with a bluescreen which has the main headline
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
etc etc

I can turn the computer on, and get to a black screen, which has the following options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

I have tried them all... But am not able to get past the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME blue screen. When I choose the Command Prompt it comes with a variety of commands... none of which I can access, as there is no interacting with the screen, then it pops up with the blue screen again...

I bought the computer overseas, as a shop sample a couple of years ago and have no software or anything...and it doesn't have a disc drive...

I, of course have all my photos on the computer... never got round to putting them onto the external harddrive....

I hope that someone can help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

What OS are you using?

Edited by Allan, 19 July 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#3 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

How old is the computer? The error your receiving is typically an indication the Hard drive has/is failing.

#4 sharondk

sharondk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

I bought the computer Nov 2009, not the best notepad out there but great for skype and internet...Op is Windows XP It had been working o.k today, I shut it down, and got the 'unmountable boot volume' when I turned it on a couple of hours later... Have not installed anything new on it. Got Norton Antivirus about 3 months ago... which seems to slow it down a lot, so need to restart a lot more than I ever used to. Was getting a lot of messages about large memory use on the internet when I used it... But ignored them as I thought that I wasn't saving stuff onto the HD..?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

If you have an XP CD you can try a repair install. If it doesn't see the drive during the installation it's possible the hd is shot.

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

Have a quick read of the following link ... to give you some hope that the situation may be recoverable:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic400271.html

Firstly, let's try the following ...

:step1: Create a bootable USB flashdrive containing the XP Recovery Console:

Creating a USB bootable XP recovery console

:step2: Run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console.

Boot from the flashdrive:
  • You may have to configure the Boot Order or BIOS Boot Sequence to boot first from the flashdrive.
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Don't forget to remove the flashdrive.
Does Windows start normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 July 2011 - 06:54 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 sharondk

sharondk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:27 AM

Have created bootable USB flashdrive containing the XP Recovery Console.

When I start the computer I press F12, which takes me to the boot menu and displays following text:

Boot Menu
HDD/SSD TOSHIBA MK1655GSX-(S1)
LAN
USB MEMORY USB DISK 2.0-(USB2.0)
<Enter Setup>

When I choose USB Memory, it runs to start with, (Starting Windows Recovery Console)... Please Wait....then that message disappears, nothing happens - the screen remains blank.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sharon

Edited by sharondk, 20 July 2011 - 05:29 AM.

#8 sharondk

sharondk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

And thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hoping that the USB will work as there is no CD drive in it!

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

I think it most likely that the problem lies in in the XP Recovery Console not recognising the SATA HDD in your machine, due to lack of the appropriate drivers for SATA.

Please give me the full details of the model of your laptop (see underneath laptop) and I will attempt to find a way around this issue.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 sharondk

sharondk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

Toshiba NB200 (Atom N280 1.66 GHz,1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Windows XP Home)

PROCESSOR : Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz 533MHz FSB 512k L2 cache
MEMORY : 1 GB DDR2 533 MHz memory; CHIPSET : Mobile Intel GM945GSE
STORAGE : 160GB 5400 rpm 2.5 inch SATA drive
DISPLAY : 10.1 inch WSVGA TFT Active Matrix 200 NIT CSV
RESOLUTION : 1024 x 600; CAMERA : Web camera
COMM : Intg Intel 10/100 Mbps TX Ethernet Intg Atheros 802.11 b/g
GRAPHICS : Intel GM945GSE
AUDIO : Intel High Definition Audio Sound Stereo speakers
PORTS : VGA D sub 15 pin 3 x USB (sleep & charge) Microphone hdphone
SLOTS : Bridge Media slot 2-in-1 Touchpad
BATTERY : 3 cell 5800mAh Lithium-Ion battery

INPUT DEVICE : 19mm Keyboard and Wide TouchPad pointing device
DIMENSION(H x W x D) : 32.35 x 263 x 192.3 mm
WEIGHT :1.18 kg

:-)

#11 sharondk

sharondk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:15 AM

I created the bootable USB flashdrive containing the XP Recovery Console.. on a computer that runs with Windows XP Professional.... could this cause a problem??

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:26 AM

You said: "I created the bootable USB flashdrive containing the XP Recovery Console.. on a computer that runs with Windows XP Professional.... could this cause a problem??"
No ... not a problem.

I am glad that you mentioned your working computer runs XP. Please test that the USB flashdrive does in fact work properly, by testing it in your working computer. Boot your working computer from the flashdrive ... if possible. Does it load the Recovery Console properly?

I want to draw your attention to the following comments by someone who had a similar problem to you ... and the response from the creator of the tutorial (see comments under the tutorial):

#
Matt Says:
April 19th, 2010 at 6:02 pm

hi, I used the original but had the same issues as martin and aaron. I have also tried the sata zip download but after it shows the recovery console starting up I just end up with a black screen. Thanks

#
Duffy Says:
April 19th, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hi Matt, that should <.... not ...> be happening have you given it much time on the black screen to check that it still isn't loading? only thing I could advice <... advise ...> is refollowing the steps again and seeing <... if ...> it works.

#
Matt Says:
April 19th, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Hi Duffy, left it for quite a while but no joy. Have download the zip file again and tried a few times but it doesn't load up. Thanks.

I am not at all sure that I will be able to do anything for you regarding the problem: Apparently the SATA drivers should be available on the flashdrive after creating the Recovery Console on the flashdrive. I really can't think of a reason why you should be having that problem, and can only suggest that you try creating the Recovery Console on the flashdrive once again ... starting from the very beginning of the tutorial, with a fresh download.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 July 2011 - 06:34 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 sharondk

sharondk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Have downloaded onto the USB again... tried it out on the Toshiba, and received message

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart
etc
Media test failure-check cable
etc

So thought I'd try the Dell (the one that is working) to check if the USB actually works

on the F12- Boot Menu I have the following options:

Internal HDD
onboard NIC
BIOS Setup
Diagnostics

not sure which to choose... Worried that I could corrupt the Dell....

Thanks
Sharon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users