Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help configuring network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaem89

jaem89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

hi, i've just moved to a new apparment that gives me new internet, and i bought a router to see if i could get wire less... now i've tried to connect but it tells me i have a static ip and that i have to put in the following...ip...subnet mask...gateway...and..dns1 and dns2....i've tried to find help using google but the router tells me that the format for the gateway is incorrect the format is something like 2002:c230:0230::1(this isn't the real one, is just an example since i'm posting from work) i've tried using my xbox and going to net work setting and it showed me the info that i needed but it didn't work...i don't know what my ISP is since is the apto and i cant go to the apto office since i work mon-fri and when i get home they're close...any thoughs?

i've tried other sites but nothing...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer, jaem89. Setting up a wireless network can sometimes be rather complicated. I've programmed for a few years and I've done my small share of DIY hardware projects, including custom-building my desktop, but networking still confuses the crap out of me. There's a very steep learning curve and, since you say you live in an apartment, you may not need wireless. It will certainly save you a few bucks to return that router, and trade it for an inexpensive 'network switch', which is basically a power-strip for a network connection. You can plug a few devices into it, and they can all connect to the internet. Combine that with a few 20-foot cables and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. I can testify that this particular network switch works very well to connect 4 devices to the internet.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

The router is asking for ipv6 addressing and your apt has ipv4 you should be able to change the settings in your router. What is the make and model of the router?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users