Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command Prompt Novice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:00 AM

Alright, I'm using the Command Prompt on XP, and I was wondering about how you deal with spaces on directory (or folder, whatever you want to call 'em) names. Is there any equivalent that you use? For example, I'm trying to use C:\Documents and Settings\CJ\My Documents as a testing ground, but I can't get Documents and Settings or My Documents to work, as they have spaces in them. What can I do to get around this, besides taking the spaces out of the names?

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but I'm too lazy to search. Any help appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:00 AM

Hi Village Baka-

This site has been helpful to me overall in terms of commands-see if it answers your question: http://www.ss64.com/nt/

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:37 AM

:thumbsup: to BC Village Baka,

too lazy to search

Hmmm.... that doesn't encourage me to type out a reply really...
but since I'm here, put directories with spaces in quotes, e.g.
CD C:\"Documents and Settings"

If you use the 'cmd' window it copes with the spaces anyway.

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:32 PM

Oh. Well, that takes care of that. I am using "cmd" but the saces screw it up anyway. Oh well.

I'm trying to learn as much about computers as I can, and this site seems like a perfect start. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users