Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spdif 2 pin connector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jayme1112

jayme1112

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

ok so i have a 2pin spdif connector going from my graphics card to the sound card. i can't seem to get audio though. i have tried the spdif cable both ways. i have enabled spdif in the audio control panel to. i tried to disable the onboard audio in my bios but that didn't work either. gpu is a nvidia geforce 9600 gso and the sound card is a asus xonar dg. i have a pentium d dual core processor and 2 gigs of ddr2 4300 ram installed as well. the motherboard is a d945gccr. i am sure i missed a step somewhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Just to clarify, you're routing sound from your sound card, into your video card, with the intention of feeding that audio into an HDMI cable to a monitor with speakers? Are you using an HDMI cable? Or perhaps I am missing something?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

YES THATS CCORRECT! with the exception of the hdmi cable. the gpu has a dvi connector. so i have an adapter for the hdmi cable. other than that, yes this is what i am trying to do lol!

#4 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

correction to the initial post. i enabled the sound card not the actual spdif itself. i can't find an option in xp for that specifically!

#5 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

quick note: i can get sound through external speakers. i just haven't been able to actually get/produce sound through the spdif connector to the monitor with built in speakers. i am completely clueless at this point!!!

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

I profess no knowledge of the differences between DVI and HDMI, but I'm pretty certain DVI doesn't carry audio signals, ever. There must be another way to do what you are trying to do?
Edit: I'm seeing that some of the newest cards have proprietary DVI HDMI converters that jury rig the sound through a DVI connection. Make sure you have the converter that was shipped with the card. That said, it has never been official, but improvised. I'd see what the manufacturer has to say about your card's abilities.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 19 July 2011 - 04:47 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users