Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows defender stopped working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deathx88

deathx88

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

I forgot about this for a while now, but my windows defender stopped working for me. I think it was a virus or malware that shut it down, but ever since then it won't start back up. I'm using vista so there's technically no way to uninstall/reinstall it.

When i had it enabled, every time i started my pc i would get an error code. I had to disable it to stop the errors. Now, when i try to turn it back on using control panel i get another error. "Windows defender encountered an error: 0x80070424. The specified service does not exist as an installed device."

I still have antivir installed to protect me usually both of them were running, not sure if that's a good idea or not, but i would still like to have it fixed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

The symptoms you describe could be a side affect of a malware infection which removed Defender from the Services list or removed a related registry key but try this first: Troubleshoot Windows Defender in Vista or Windows 7

Also make sure the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service is started and set to Automatic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, i did everything you and that site said but it still won't work.

When i typed in that command it said my WMI was consistent. I keep trying to open and enable defender but i still get that error message.

#4 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Bump

I know someone here can help me. I've had this same problem before and someone from these forums helped me fix it.

So does anyone know how to fix this problem?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

Check in services to see if the DCOM Server Process Launcher and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service are running and set to "Automatic". Windows Defender depends on both of these services. If they are not running, start each one in the same manner as you did for the BITS and Windows Defender service.

Windows Vista SP1 Services 411 - Windows Defender

What service Windows Defender needs to function properly:
* Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
* DCOM Server Process Launcher

Windows 7 Services 411 - Windows Defender

What service Windows Defender needs to function properly:
* Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (U)
* DCOM Server Process Launcher (U)
* RPC Endpoint mapper (U)

Windows Defender Error Code 0x80070424
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

There are suggestions on how to start Defender manually in this discussion thread.

If none of that works, then the following registry key(s) or sub-key(s) is likely missing or corrupt

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend

Edited by quietman7, 22 July 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#6 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

Ok, i checked my services and everything you mentioned is turned to automatic.

I checked the links you posted and the one told me to enable defender in the services menu. The thing is, i noticed there was no windows defender listed in my service menu which means i can't enable it though there. So that can't be a good thing, right?

I also checked the registry files you posted, it seems like both files are there, but for all i know something might be wrong. The WinDefend registry only has one file in it called (Default) and it has no value set. So i don't know if that's normal or not. The wuauserv registry seems to have a lot of entries in it.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

I don't use Defender and I don't use Vista so I cannot manually check anything for comparison.

When doing a Google search I'm finding numerous complaints of this issue with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one may not work for another. I have not come across a specific fix from Microsoft...if I do I will post it.

#8 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

Ok, thanks for your help anyway.

Is there anyone else that can help me with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users