Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't copy files to an SD card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roadscum

Roadscum

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

'The disk is write-protected'

No it's NOT! Let me copy my file you horrid machine!

So i tried using an external card reader instead of the built in one...

Being the idiot i am, i then started bashing away blindly at any settings that looked vaguely relevant without bothering to pay much attention to what i was doing.

What?

Well it usually works. :whistle:

As far as i can remember, i tried to mess about with the 'sharing' settings for the SD card and i've left the 'Homegroup' - my old computer uses the same router that this one does but it's running XP - couldn't see the point of having a 'Homegroup' for one computer.

I've tried three different SD cards; a 1GB, 4GB and 8GB, all of which work fine in my camera and yes, i have checked the little switch thing on the edge of the card. Interestingly, i was initially able to copy a file to each card but after removing the card and re-inserting it, 'The disk is write-protected'

The machine is a brand new Lenovo laptop with a Core i5 2410M 2.30GHz processor with 6GB RAM, running 64bit Win 7 SP1 with the McAfee Antivirus plus that it came with.
The end user is ageing badly, its processor is slow and its memory is completely inadequate for all but the most simple tasks - so you'll have to speak up a bit and not use too many long words...

Now, would somebody tell me where i'm going wrong here please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

What kind of card is it?

#3 Roadscum

Roadscum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

1GB Viking branded Toshiba SD card, 4GB and 8GB Sandisc SDHC class 2 cards, all full size, not mini or micro, FAT 32 formatted in a Panasonic Lumix G3 camera, which they need to be to work properly with that particular price of kit. The files i'm trying to transfer are lens firmware updates, but yes, i've checked, i can't write any other files to the cards either. They work perfectly in the camera though.

Thanks for your help!

#4 Roadscum

Roadscum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Well, the problem appears to be solved. All the cards had been formatted in my old computer before being formatted in the camera. Just out of curiosity, i formatted one in the new Win7 laptop, then re-formatted it in the camera again, put it back in the laptop and bingo, file copied, no problems. Strange, something to do with the formatting perhaps...?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

It could have some corruption caused maybe by an improper format, but glad its solved. In the future sometimes memory cards, have a white or very small toggle switch on the side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users