Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing a Video card Fan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gopher75

Gopher75

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Ok so I have this video card that the fan has went out on, Im assuming it will be cheaper just to replace the fan, what will i need to do (what type of fan do i need,tools, how to etc) to replace this fan.Attached File  his-5570-front.jpg   219.45KB   5 downloads

HIS Radeon HD 5570 1024MB
GPU: RADEON HD 5570 (Redwood)
Interface: PCIe x16
GPU (ROPs/Shaders) clock rate: 650/650 MHz (nominal)
Memory clock rate, physical (effective): 830 (1660) MHz (nominal)
Bus width: 128-bit
Vertex processors: -
Pixel processors: -
Unified processors: 400
Texture processors: 20 (BLF/TLF)
ROPs: 8
Size: 170x75x30 mm
PCB color: blue
RAMDACs/TDMS: integrated into GPU
Outputs: DVI (Dual-Link/HDMI), VGA, HDMI
VIVO: -
Multi-GPU: Software CrossFire

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

You will need to find an aftermarket cooler that will fit.

#3 Gopher75

Gopher75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

ok so will any fan work or is there a certain type i will need for it

and thanks for the quick reply :)

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

You will need to find an aftermarket cooler that will fit.

The majority of cooling fans that I've seen are crudely clipped on the underside or have some light-duty screws. Find out which is the case for you and it would be great if you could post a pic. After removing that, usually the heatsink body is adhered to the card with some sticky thermal pads. Don't be afraid to apply pressure (to remove it), but don't snap the board in half either... After that, just make sure the contact surfaces on the new fan/heatsink have some thermal stuff, and push it down on the card until it snaps in. And definitely what Dan said... Don't just buy a fan. If possible, search on NewEgg, where people usually write lots of item reviews, and make sure a given aftermarket replacement fits on your 5570 by searching in the reviews.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 19 July 2011 - 09:08 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

Im not finding any aftermarket coolers.

#6 Gopher75

Gopher75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

so would i just have to replace the card then? the short term fix right now is that i have a desk fan that is keeping the card cool but im looking on new egg to and not seeing any thing

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

replacing the card would be the better option.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

with the computer shut down ,does the fan move if you spin it with you finger ,if not you could try removing the black sticker with the HIS on it ,on the fan and using a 3in1 oil ,oil it a bit to see if you can get it to move ,i do this all the time repairing fans on video cards

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

Sorry, my earlier was a bit of a quick post before I ran off to the beach. But after looking at the price of the card, I'm with everyone else saying that buying a new card is probably the best plan. An aftermarket fan will typically run you $30+, and a whole new card is not that much more expensive, so buying a new card is a good bet on saving you the trouble of replacing the fan. Before buying a new one, though, I'd agree with caperjac: do what you can to fix the fan. Make sure its power pins are plugged into the card, and ensure nothing's jamming the fan blades. If you do decide to buy a new card, maybe look on NewEgg for a 5570 that doesn't break down as much. :wink:
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#10 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Forgive me if I am wrong, but will this fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/50mm-ATI-Radeon-Video-Card-Cooler-Fan-Replacement-New-/180626530806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e2e21f6#ht_2065wt_858

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

youll need to measure the holes as in the image.

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

This might work as well. Make sure the size and the power connector are the same and that the mounting holes are in the correct position.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

with the computer shut down ,does the fan move if you spin it with you finger ,if not you could try removing the black sticker with the HIS on it ,on the fan and using a 3in1 oil ,oil it a bit to see if you can get it to move ,i do this all the time repairing fans on video cards

beginning to think i must be invisible on the form , i make so many post that i think are good suggestion or questions and they don't even get answered .lol
i have been fixing and building computer for over 10 yrs now and have repaired dozens of fans like yours with a bit of oil

Edited by caperjac, 20 July 2011 - 06:41 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

k my comments are srs bsns* <_<

The OP hasn't responded since you made your recommendation about the oil. :thumbup2:

*edited for brevity. nothing but love, caperjac.

#15 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

just a recommendation if he felt he needed to buy a fan still. I love your input caperjac! you responded to a thread on RAM for me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users