There is a difference in how Windows XP and 7 browse the network when there is not a server, explaining your inconsistencies when browsing the network. I believe the Windows 7 machine will show up if you disable the firewall, but it is more common to use the UNC paths when sharing, so you were correct to navigate to \\THEBEAST. You also stumbled through the correct process for adding a shared printer, the general steps usually include:
- Share the printer from the machine it's installed on
- Connect to the machine via UNC that is sharing the printer (\\thebeast) from the PC you want connected (\\moltabocca)
- Right-click printer and choose "Connect", a driver search will begin
* Sometimes this part isn't automatic, and you would have to download the Windows 7 driver for your printer from the manufacturer's website. Depending on the model of printer, this is usually an easy process that only adds a few extra steps.
- Print a test page to make sure it worked!
Anyway, I've run into this issue before with network discovery on the two operating systems, and I still don't know what the root cause is. Some sites recommend switching from a Work to Home connection on the Windows 7 machine, and someone else reported a fix by changing the Windows 7 workgroup to a different name then changing it back. You could try cryptodan's suggestion and share a printer from the Windows 7 machine as well, if the computer is not sharing anything it may not show up on the list. Great job with the screenshots though, it really helped me walk through your issue!
Edited by whoabuddy, 19 July 2011 - 09:21 AM.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)Excellent Security AdviceProud member of UNITE