Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect any new usb, mouse, etc. devices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NiGeKi KeSSaTsu

NiGeKi KeSSaTsu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

Hello,
I don't know why but no 'new' usb devices seem to work with my laptop. When I bought this laptop, I connected a mouse and a flash drive and they worked, their drivers were installed. But now (quite a while ago actually) when I connect new devices, none seem to work except for the mouse and the flash drive I have connected to this laptop when I first got it. I tried connecting a new mouse, the light is on but it doesn't work (can't move the cursor). This is very frustrating when I left my usable mouse behind and I have to use the touchpad which I don't really like.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I would try the following.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers...click plus-sign to see detail.

Delete any detail item which has "controller" in description, don't worry about "hubs" or "devices".

Reboot the system...try a device.

Louis

#3 NiGeKi KeSSaTsu

NiGeKi KeSSaTsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for replying Louis
There are 6 items in my Universal Serial Bus controllers list:
SiS 7991 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiS 7991 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I disabled the first 3 which have 'controller' in their names and the 'USB Root Hub' disappear when each one is disabled. Then I reboot my laptop but it didn't work :(, my usb that works didn't work too so I enabled them again.
Am I doing this right?

Thanks

#4 NiGeKi KeSSaTsu

NiGeKi KeSSaTsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hi guys,
I formatted my laptop and everything works fine now. Thanks for all your effort.
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users