Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

I have Asus laptop with W7 64bit and IE9 (I don't have IE9 32bit on the laptop) and when trying to watch a video a message said I need to update Adobe Flash Player. I went into the site to download as instucted and did so downloading Adobe beta 11 and after uninstalling the older version and "installing" the beta 11 version not matter what I do I keep getting the orginal message when trying to watch videos.
So could someone walk me through as to what I need to do to install the update successfully.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

Uninstall the Beta version. Go here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
You should be prompted to install latest stable & secure version: Adobe Flash Player 10.3.181.34 Uncheck option for Free! Google Toolbar (unless for some odd reason you want it)
Follow the prompts.

>>>I don't have IE9 32bit on the laptop<<<

I don't think that's correct. IIRC, 32 bit gets installed by default on all systems. Check Start>> All programs>> Internet Explorer. You should see both IE & IE 64 bit:

[attachment=102746:IE_9.PNG]

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

Thanks U-T for your response. I logged onto the site you supplied and got a message saying that V10 is no longer current and diverted me here
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html

There are more than one down loads for Windows and I am not sure if I need to download the 3 or just one?

Also my IE9 32bit was mistakenly uninstalled some time ago and I have tried everything to download again without success. I keep getting a message telling me IE9 32bit is not correct for my laptop and no matter what I try I have no luck..

Up until this morning I could watch videos ok but this morning I can't & keep getting the message to udate. I had Adobe "Square" previous to this morning.

Thanks again.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Check version of Flash installed http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

[attachment=102751:flash.PNG]

Uninstall the Beta version. THEN Go here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
You should be prompted to install latest stable & secure version: Adobe Flash Player 10.3.181.34 Uncheck option for Free! Google Toolbar (unless for some odd reason you want it)
Follow the prompts.

>>>I don't have IE9 32bit on the laptop<<<

Again, this makes no sense. When you install IE9 for Windows 7 64 bit systems, it installs BOTH 32 bit & 64 bit BROWSERS by default.

Please do the following: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

>>>Also my IE9 32bit was mistakenly uninstalled some time ago and I have tried everything to download again without success. I keep getting a message telling me IE9 32bit is not correct for my laptop and no matter what I try I have no luck<<<

You are likely trying to re-install IE9 for Windows 7 32 bit systems.

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 July 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#5 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IlKrxVeqQsjwI1L54VSSlAs

In programs there are 2 listings of IE9 but when I check the version both are 64bit? I don't think they are supplying 32bit for W7 64 bit any longer? I could try unistalling IE9 and download again and see what happens I guess.

Also when I get into the link you supplied to download the version of Adobe 10 you gave I get the message saying it is no longer the current version and directs me to the beta version 11 download.

Sorry for being such a nuisance for you but I do appreciate your help

Edited by center, 19 July 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Ahhh, I see now...you are somehow using the 64 bit version of IE as your "default" browser...which requires the 64 bit "square" (Beta) version of Flash..

Check Start>> All programs>> Internet Explorer. You should see both IE & IE 64 bit:

Posted Image

Somehow whatever shortcut you use to launch IE9 is pointing to the 64 bit version of IE. Is this your preference? If so, you must use the 64 bit "square" (Beta) version of flash.

>>>Also when I get into the link you supplied to download the version of Adobe 10 you gave I get the message saying it is no longer the current version and directs me to the beta version 11 download.<<<

Yes, I just got the same result when using the 64 bit IE9.

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 July 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

You need to be very careful with Flash Player Update messages. There are a number of sites that will tell you to update Flash Player and when you try to do so you will be downloading a trojan. Only update Flash from the Adobe Website

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

>>>You need to be very careful with Flash Player Update messages<<<

Yes, you are correct Allan. I just recreated the same message, with the same result as the OP by going to Youtube in IE9 64 bit:
[attachment=102754:IE.PNG]

Search for "square" @ Adobe.com: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=square

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 July 2011 - 11:47 AM.

#9 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Right then in this case I will covert to Google Chrome when I want to watch vidoes as it has an inbuilt flash player.

Allan thanks for that warning. It is something I was unaware of.

And U-T I thank you very much for your time. I will hang back for awhile with the Adobe Flash player upgrade and when I wish to listen to musice etc I will switch across to Ghrome as I said earlier.

Well done both of you for your support.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

You're welcome and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users