Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba needs wireless internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Dood

Mister Dood

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

So my friend's laptop isn't working right, and asked me to take a look at it because he's not good with computer. Turns out it had a virus, and he got a new copy of Windows 7 on it. Since then, the laptop's worked fine except that it's not able to connect to hidden wireless networks, and I'm not sure the wireless card is even working. It has the correct drivers and everything, but still nothing. It's a Toshiba Satellite L505-GS5035. It might still be under warranty, so should I tell him to send it back, or am I missing something?

P.S. I'm a Linux nerd, and I've tried booting it into everything from Knoppix to Ubuntu, and none of it loads correctly. Are Toshiba's just stubborn?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

Does the computer connect to any networks? I'm confused... you say it won't connect to hidden networks but, then you aren't sure it's even working.. Does it give you any errors while trying to connect? Was a clean install of 7 performed? What version of Windows 7 is it? If the computer connects to ANY networks it isn't going to be a hardware issue.

#3 Mister Dood

Mister Dood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

It was a clean install of 32-bit Windows 7, yes.
It wont connect to hidden networks, but I believe that hidden networks are the only hidden ones in range, so I don't know if it works at all.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

FWIW: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/fixing-wireless-hidden-network-problem-on-windows/7a893bef-1f1a-4f5e-b6a2-cc4fc16b361a

I guess that I would like to know just what is defined as "hidden networks" by user.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=17672

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

You can go to the Toshiba website below to check warranty. You will need the Serial Number and the Model Part Number. The Model part number is on the bottom underneath where it says L505-GS5035. L505-GS5035 is a model number not a model part number. That website is open to the public no login required. If it is under warranty you will find a number to vcall on the same page for support.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users