Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on watermarking my code

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'm writing a program for my computer science teacher to use in teaching his students, and as a standard for comparison as they write their own code. I will be writing more programs like this, and they may collectively be used in a Microsoft education program. If this is to become shared around the nation, I would like to know how best to make my name known as the programmer. What first occurred to me, and what I'm mainly asking about now, is what to include in my 'comment block watermark'. I was thinking of the following at the top of my code:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///This program was written by Ryan Rehfuss in 2011.//
///Intended for educational use. No rights reserved.//
Does this look sufficient? I'd like to be a nice public domain guy and include the No Rights Reserved, but is there any way this could be used against me in the future?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

I am not sure what your goal is. Is the goal to provide the code to anyone to use without restraint? Or is the goal to limit your liability in case someone uses your code and something fuxors up? Or is it just to stroke your ego and get your name out? There are various licensing schemes that can address any of these situations, and you should research them to see which bests fits your instance.

You might want to start here. Or maybe here. Or here.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

My intent is to make the code free for any use, but as much as possible, to have my name attached to the product. I'm sorry I'm off somewhere for a milkshake, and haven't had time to read the full list of licenses, but wanted to provide that little bit more of information to you.

I think i'll use Academic Free License 3.0. It allows free use of the code in all forms, but requires users to leave my own watermark intact in the code, as far as I can tell.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 18 July 2011 - 08:37 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

I would include your email address so if they have any questions then they can contact you.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thanks Dan, that's a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I'll do so. I think the Academic Free License that groovicus linked will suffice for me, as it allows the product to be used with no restrictions except that anything marked with "Attribution Notice" must be left intact, and original source code must be provided alongside any project where this is integrated. I'll include my name and email address in the Attribution Notice. Think that'll do it. Thanks guys, much better than I would have pulled off alone.

My final mark, unless someone else mentions something more, is going to look like this:
///////////////Attribution Notice:////////////////////
///This program was written by Ryan Rehfuss, 2011/////
///Contact at ryanrehfuss@gmail.com///////////////////
///Intended for educational use.//////////////////////
///Rights reserved under Academic Free License v3.0///

Edited by Ryan 3000, 18 July 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

I would do something like this:

///////////////Attribution Notice:////////////////////
///This program was written by Ryan Rehfuss, 2011  ///
///Contact at ryanrehfuss@gmail.com                ///
///Intended for educational use.                   ///
///Rights reserved under Academic Free License v3.0///

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

The white space does make it look cleaner, thanks for the suggestion. Okay, I think that'll do it. Mission accomplished? :thumbup2:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Its only accomplished if you like the finished product.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Personally, I use C-style line comments * instead of forward slashes like this :

/****************************************/
/*	Program to get a candy		*/
/*	Programmer : Romeo29		*/
/*	Date : 20th August, 2011	*/
/*	Email : www@yahoo.com		*/
/* 	Webpage : www.yahoo.com		*/
/****************************************/

Edited by Romeo29, 19 July 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

FYI, here's what I do for C/C++ code:

/*
	29/12/2006 - 15/01/2010
	XORSearch V1.6, search for a XOR, ROL or ROT encoded string in a file
	Use -s to save the XOR, ROL or ROT encoded file containing the string
	Use -l length to limit the number of printed characters (50 by default)
	Use -i to ignore the case when searching
	Use -u to search for Unicode strings (limited support)
	Use -f to provide a file with search strings
	Use -n length to print the length neighbouring charaters (before & after the found keyword)
	Use -h to search for hex strings

Source code put in public domain by Didier Stevens, no Copyright
	https://DidierStevens.com
	Use at your own risk

Editor tab stop value = 2

Shortcommings, or todo's ;-)
	- no pipe support (file redirection)
	- file must fit in memory

History:
		15/01/2007: multiple hits, only printable characters, length argument
		08/08/2007: 1.2: added ROL 1 to 7 encoding
		17/12/2007: 1.3: findfile
		18/04/2009: 1.4: ROT encoding
		12/01/2010: 1.5: added (limited) Unicode support; -n option
		15/01/2010: 1.6: added hex support
*/

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

A number of code snippets I've seen and used which are intended for free exchange as educational material come with some form of the BSD License in their comment block:

//Copyright (c) 2011, Ryan Rehfuss(ryanrehfuss@gmail.com)
//All rights reserved.
//
//Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
//
//    Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
//    Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
//    materials provided with the distribution.
//
//THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
//WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
//INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR 
//PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) 
//ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Under this license, anyone can use the code, share it, modify it, make changes and sell it, etc. provided that they acknowledge you as the author (for example, earlier versions of Internet Explorer used code from NSCA Mosaic and had a BSD style notice in the About box.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users