Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP file type screening for a folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Letís say I want a folder to have just JPG in them. I want to restrict people from putting anything inside this folder other then jpg in there. Does anyone know if a registry entry or program that will allow you to restrict a folder to only allow or exclude one type of file extension?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hello Tendoncs, :thumbsup:

I don't think that's possible in Windows XP, but I'm not 100% sure either. I will look more on this.

You may use the parental control feature to give other users less access, but editing the registry for your cause is beyond me.

I have not used this method, but you may want to have a look here:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-45891-how-to-restrict-access-to-a-folder

The DOS method should work (be very careful here), but it would still rely on user access.

There are some programs that will claim to do what you have asked, but I do not recommend them.

Either way, I don't think this will answer your question, but I hope this helps!

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 18 July 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#3 Tendoncs

Tendoncs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

It might help to know I could use group policies. There has to be a way to do this. Or a script that can be written. I could write a script that would delete any of one file ext in the folder. I wanted to get it set up so the user is denied access to write based on the file ext.

Thank you for your response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users