Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG users Please Read

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:27 AM

A heads up for all AVG users:

GRISOFT is pleased to announce that the next generation of AVG Free will be available soon!

The new AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, which is currently available for Beta testing, is scheduled to be Generally Available at the beginning of November.

All current AVG 6.0 Free users will be able to upgrade to the new AVG Free Edition before December 31, 2004 or purchase the full AVG Anti-Virus protection at any time.

AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 FREE Edition will be discontinued on December 31, 2004, and virus database and program updates for this edition will no longer be available.

In order to provide sufficient time to upgrade to the new AVG Free, all AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 Free users will be informed through the update process in the coming weeks about the availability of the upgrade.

GRISOFT continues to provide improved overall computer security by providing free anti-virus tool for home users.We are excited about the new release of AVG Free and think that you will be, too!

Thank you for using AVG Free!

The GRISOFT Team

Source:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5443/lng/us
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:31 AM

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I just installed Free AVG. I had Avast! But found it to be tiresome. It took hours to scan. AVG scanned my entire system in 25 min.
Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:38 AM

I have heard that about Avast; from what I read about the BETA release of AVG7, it should even be faster, and easier to update than AVG6.
Cheers,
John

#4 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

Update: AVG version 7 is now available for download. It will automatically un-install your previous version.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 November 2004 - 07:03 PM.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:15 PM

I've been using the AVG7 for about a month now, and I'm pleased with it. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

You must have been testing the Beta Version.
I have used AVG6 for several years, and I have to agree, it is very good.
Cheers,
John

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:43 PM

yup, it's the Beta, but I figure, like you said, they've been at it for years so a "beta" release from them would be probably be good. It has been, and I'll say this about our Czech friends (and the folks at Kapersky Labs as well) "Having lived in the former Soviet Union, with the old "superpowers" technology a close companion, must have been helpful when it came to detection of viruses 'n such". Now, if we can just get those fellows over in Russia at the CoolWebSearch Facility to lighten up a bit.... :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:02 PM

Update: AVG version 7 is now available for download. It will automatically un-install your previous version.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/

Cheers,
John

Thanks! I made a mental note concerning this, which was misplaced. Lol So I downloaded AVG 7 as soon as I read your post. So as not to forget again.

Edited by scarlett, 10 November 2004 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#9 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:53 PM

I made a mental note too, and reminded myself that AVG said they would notifiy everyone through definitions update. Last night, when I updated my definitions, which was a large d/l, some written message flashed for about three seconds on my screen, so I figured it was the notice. This afternoon, when I checked AVG's site, low and behold the new version was there for downloading.
Hopefully everyone will not wait till the last minute to change over, since I know this is used widely. The new version seems to be more reassuring when it checks Email now, but it doesn't have a percent done indicator when doing a virus scan (I did a custom scan of some folders just to be sure it was working). And there is a nice PDF manual you can d/l, too.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users