Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1720 Black Screen Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsmith45

rsmith45

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

My Dell 1720 Laptop (Vista) had the following error:
The file header checksum does not match the computer checksum

I tried to restore to factory settings F11 but the laptop wouldn't let me.

Tried to restore from Dells disk but the computer wouldn't load the restore disk.

Now the computer on startup has a black screen and will not boot up. None of the F keys will work. Keyboard was working fine until this error.

I decided to purchase a new hard drive. Installed the new drive and the computer is doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) What do you mean the "laptop wouldn't let you" restore to factory settings?

3) What do you mean it "wouldn't load the restore disk"?

4) You replaced the drive and now have a blank hd in the system?

#3 rsmith45

rsmith45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
I purchased the Dell 1720 in 2008. Never a problem until the error message "The file header checksum does not match the computer checksum" The only thing new is the hard drive that I installed yesterday
2) What do you mean the "laptop wouldn't let you" restore to factory settings?
Black screen will not boot
3) What do you mean it "wouldn't load the restore disk"?
Can't get the computer to boot. 4) You replaced the drive and now have a blank hd in the system?
Yes I have a blank hard drive installed yesterday thinking that this would work and I could get the computer to run the restore disk.

Thanks!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

You need to change the bios so the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order. However, that checksum error may indicate a hardware problem somewhere.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/aeebb9c0-c1c6-4d04-b1d1-4bc9e4d0d31d

Louis

#6 rsmith45

rsmith45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Thank you for the information. Hamluis the link that you sent had very good information. It's really tough to do anything with the screen black. I plugged in my other computer screen and it wouldn't work either. Don't know what happen but I believe that this Dell 1720 will be going to a repair center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users