Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presario M2010us Boot from wrong disk/won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Interesting situation here: I am stumped as what to do anymore. can any one help?

Basically this compaq Presario M2010us (XP home edition) was SLOW and so bugged, That it needed to be reformatted completely. not having the original disk I threw in a Dell disk I wasn't using just to see if it would work at all (XP Media Edition). It worked! But this was a grave mistake. It reformatted the drive but didn't register to Microsoft.

Now, It won't read any other disks BUT this stupid dell disk! I bought a HP/Compaq disk (XP Home SP2), I tried Ubuntu 10.10, Ubuntu 11.04. Then thought it was because the RAM was only 224 MB: I tried Xubuntu 11.04. Desperately and finally: Darik's and Hiren's. Nothing worked! but the Dell disk which tells me the CD drive is still good?!

<FYI: I was able to mount a Ubuntu ISO to the Hard drive inside of the dell OS and it ran but I was not able to repartition and rid it of Microsoft after.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hello and :welcome: To BC,

So you are saying that the laptop wont boot from a cd? Did you go into bios and set the boot order properly?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:12 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes I set BIOS correctly to boot from the disk drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

<<It reformatted the drive but didn't register to Microsoft.>>

Delete everything...try using a disk licensed for that system. There is no reason to expect a disk from Dell...to properly perform/activate on a Compaq system, the two employ different ways of setting up the O/S.

And different O/S licenses.

Louis

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

I totally agree. Unfortunately I don't have any of the original software for it.

I never intended to keep the Dell OS on there. I just wanted to see If the thing would run at all really.

The hp/compaq disk I bought is unrecognizable. I know the disk is good because I ripped it with my desktop and mounted it as iso drive and it worked then. Do you think the disk drive is bad? ever heard of a bad drive that reads one disk but not another?

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

I replaced the cd drive and now I can read Linux disks (both Ubuntu 11.04 and Xubuntu 11.04) but neither will mount... any suggestions?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

If you are saying that you cannot access the hard drive via the linux disks...I would think that would point to a bad hard drive or soemthing more serious. I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#8 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the site! turns out it was a bug with the the linux live disks md5sums not working with media they were burnt to.

I will keep your link in mind for future en devours.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

Nice work :), happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users