Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RKill defeated on W98

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RDodger

RDodger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

I have been unable to work around the block presumably being created by malware. WHen I try to run IExplore (which I could not download under any of its names, but which I copied over onto the old machine by way of the LAN connection from my XP machine) I get a message to the effect I am trying to instal obsolete IE software. There are three button: Close, cancel, and the run button which is greyed out. There is also a check-box that says: "Do not show this message again". I am reluctant to try that without asking if anyone knows about the issue. Thanks.

Edited by Andrew, 18 July 2011 - 01:59 PM.
Mod Edit: Removed formatting which made the text hard to read. - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

RKill doesnt work with 98, XP or greater only. That is the way it was designed.
You make no mention of running RKill except in the header.

IExplore is Internet Explorer, as you know. The latest version that worked with 98 is IE6 if I recall.
You are trying to copy IExplore from XP. Two different versions & it wont work.

Can you be a little clearer about your problem?
What block created by malware are you referring to?

You might try SpyBot Search and Destroy
It is one of the few malware removal programs left that still work with Windows 98.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 RDodger

RDodger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the response. I have an unknown malware problem on my old 98 machine. After several weeks of trying to instal various antivirus and firewall versions that are supposed to work on 98, the situation is that I cannot use IE6 reliably. I can visit sites (such as Clamwin) but trying to download, say, AV updates, results in a hung IE page. I have much better success with Firefox, However, I know there is a problem because logon is very slow, and programs such as Clamwin AV run very slowly, and also fail to complete.
I recently got rid of a scare-ware infection on the XP PC using R-Kill, so I attempted to download it to the W98. I can only do this with Firefox. When it is on the PC it has a red icon that looks like a bio-hazard symbol, and it is called iExplore. When I try to run it I get an iExplore.exe warning that "Setup has detected that you are running a version of Windows that already includes the outdated files or enhancements you are attempting to install. Clicking details reveals that it thinks I am trying to instal IE5 or earlier on Win98 etc, and that doing so would prevent the OS from working properly. There is a greyed out Run, a Close, a Details, and a check box "Don't display the message". I didn't check that because I might then be completely blind.. OR it could be a malware stunt. I have returned to R-Kill and tried to download a different version, but none of them are allowed (the save button is greyed out). I hope this suggests some course of action or further questions. Thanks!

#4 RDodger

RDodger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I should have also mentioned that when I checked for system requirements I saw only "Windows". That led me to think that Win 98 was still possible.

#5 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

it thinks I am trying to instal IE5 or earlier on Win98 etc, and that doing so would prevent the OS from working properly. There is a greyed out Run, a Close, a Details, and a check box "Don't display the message". I didn't check that because I might then be completely blind.. OR it could be a malware stunt.

Windows 98 came with IE4, so there is no way that installing IE5 would damage anything. That message must have been produced by the malware.

At this point, I would reinstall Windows. I also would not use a computer running Windows 98 on the Internet.

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

I completely agree with lti, running WIN98 on the Net is a real NO NO, simply because of finding compatible Anti Virus and Anti Malware Programs that (a) work and (B) allow you to update them regularly.

You mention that you have WINXP and that it had a hit from Malware. If you are completely sure it is completely cleaned up, that is fine, if not I would suggest that you Post in here and let the Experts check it out for you, before you do much more. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 RDodger

RDodger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thanks to all for the input. Regarding the XP machine, I believe R-Kill was able to do its job and allow Malwarebytes to clear the scareware. It was the classic "You've been infected by the following viruses, send money and we'll fix your problem and let you use your computer again" type of thing. Checking on which OS R-Kill was useable on and reading "Windows" I assumed - evidently incorrectly - that it would run on 98. Hence, I believe that the iExplore "biohazard-like" icon that appeared to represent the iExplore / R-kill download was Explorer doing its job and protecting me from running an incompatible program. I have removed the download, of course.
As it seem impossible to remove whatever ails the W98 machine, due to the lack of software to detect and kill the infection, I shall do as you say and retain the machine for file storage only. I am still concerned that because these two PC's share a common broadband access to the Internet, that whenever the W98 machine is on the LAN to exchange information with the XP, that malware could still communicate data out to the web. Is this possible, even without IE6 or Firefox running?
I don't think upgrading this PC to XP is really practical, Similarly, if I wanted to re-install W98 I would lose a lot of installed programs during the procedure. There is another alternative: I have another hard drive, from which I Ghosted a clone to instal the current, larger, hard drive. That was several years ago, and there were no infections. The existing drive could be wiped and the old image restored. The XP machine could then back up all the photo albums and other data using Syncback and the LAN.

Alternative Pommy meaning of "being unable to making a silk purse out of a sows ear" : trying to make something beautiful, elegant, practical etc., out of something ugly, crude, and useless, etc. Rather like trying to make a W98 PC operaate on the Web!

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

:hysterical:

Hey,Pommy :thumbup2:

Let's go to middle of the Road?

If you want?

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

First thing for you to do when exchanging information with the XP OS is to go off the Net whilst that happens.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users