Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got a virus through Facebook and my laptop keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mamon1312

Mamon1312

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

1. A few days ago I went on facebook to see if one of my friends was online so I appeared online for about 1 second and he wasn't online and I logged off. But a few seconds after, I recieved an inbox message from one of my not-so-close friend whom I knew for years. This is how our conversation went:
http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/Mamon1312/?action=view&current=Popup.png#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1143.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn622%2FMamon1312%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DPrintScreen.png
When I said "you-mean-the-youtube-vid-______*-posted up?" I got somewhat suspicious about my friend since, I do not hang around him much so I doubted that he took a video of me laughing, so I thought that he was talking about a video my friend posted up awhile ago of me play fighting with my other friend at an End of the School Year Trip - which he also went to. At this point I was about to say "I already saw this", then I noticed he had already sent me a link. I know the link looked suspicious....but I accidentally clicked on it when I was going to copy the link and search it up on Google. ^^' So I thought that I might as well look at it. The link sent me to this website that looked like a fake youtube.

2.On that page, I wasn't able to watch the video because "my flash player was old" and I needed to download the newest version from the link they provided below (which I clicked on...by accident once again ^^'), and when I scrolled down the page, I saw 3 pages of comments that all of "my friends" from facebook wrote. There was 1 comment from each "friend" saying something similar to: "They're high" or "Cool vid" or some cheesy phrases that people nowadays wouldn't say, most of which were very short phrases like the ones previously mentioned. I do not remember seeing a comment box - just the comments my "friends" wrote - nor do I remember any related videos on the side of the page. I would provide a better explanation of how the page looked but I do not want another computer to get infected.

After I replied "k" I closed the facebook tab I was talking with him through and the tab of the link he sent me and decided to eat lunch and deal with what just happened later. When I came back (about 20 minutes after I left), I saw that my laptop had just finished restating itself and was at this page

Posted Image

so I logged myself in and did the usual (go on the internet,etc). In approximately 7 mintues after I logged in something like this popped up

Posted Image

and restarted my laptop without my confirmation. After it restarted my screen was vertically stretched out and a little enlarged. When I was about to attempt logging in (into both of my accounts) the farthest I reached was when it said "Welcome" right before actually logging in and stayed like this for abour 1 minute until it once again restarted my computer. This time when it restarted, my screen was not strecthed out or enlarged but normal. When this happens I could log into both of my accounts, and stay on the internet for a short periods of time (3-10 mins) before it restarts again.

And every time it restarts the process is as follows (when I am connected to the Internet):

1. Starts up with the screen vertically stretched out and a bit enlarged.
2. Try logging into one of my accounts and does not get past the "Welcome" page
or
3. At this page Posted Image
4. It restarts
5. After start up the screen is not vertically stretched out or enlarged but normal
6. I can log into any of my accounts
7. After a few minutes I am connected to the internet without even having to do anything, a "click to terminate" page pops up
8. after the "click to terminate" page pops up it immediately closes itself and restarts my laptop without my confirmation
9. The proccess repeats over and over again unless I shut off my laptop myself (click on the power button or after I log in)

Also, after the second time it restarts (after #6) in the bottom right corner of my screen right above the date/time there's a message that appears and looks something like this:

Posted Image

and sometimes when my laptop restarts, instead of it saying "Mcafee", I once saw a faint "Microsoft security essentials" or something of that sort. ^^'

After trying to access the internet several times, I decided to give up and go on without internet. This time, it started up normally and I could do whatever I wanted but without internet.

Also, when I have used my friends' computers/laptops and entered my facebook account their internet suddenly stopped working too but after reseting their router..or something of that sort, their internet started working again. Maybe it's because I clicked on the download link to download the flash player I was "missing". ^^'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

See if you can operate your computer normally and use internet in Safe Mode with Networking.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Mamon1312

Mamon1312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Even with Safe Mode with Networking, I cannot access the internet.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Since you're posting, I assume you have some other working computer?

Using it and USB flash drive, transfer and run following programs...

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

=============================================================================

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.

IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.
If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.
If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users