Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cartridge error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wkid

wkid

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

This printer is two years old and has worked flawlessly using aftermarket cartridges until recently. We have used approximately 30 refill cartridges from Cartridge World for the entire life of the printer (after exhausting the original cartridges).

The error message is:

cartridge on right is not intended for this printer

Here is the sequence of events:
  • replacement cartridge would not print, cartridge error -- I returned the cartridge. The store checked it and found that the contacts were bad. I was given a free replacement.
  • replacement cartridge would not print, cartridge error -- I returned the cartridge. The store checked it and found that the cartridge was over filled. I was given a free replacement.
  • replacement cartridge worked for about a couple of weeks, then gave cartridge error -- The cartridge felt too heavy to be empty. I took the cartridge back. The store weighed it and found it to be half full (empty?). I was given a half price replacement.
  • replacement cartridge would not print, cartridge error -- The same error message repeats -->again<--.

Here is what I have done upon each failure without success:
  • Remove cartridge.
  • Clean contacts (both cartridge and printer) with lint free swab.
  • Place cartridge in carriage.
  • on the most recent failure only:
  • Clean contacts as above.
  • Cleaned contacts with new pink eraser and repeat with lint free swab.
  • Reset printer as recommended by a tech by:
  • Unplug printer with it powered up.
  • Plug back in while holding # and 6 key at the same time, holding both keys down until the display goes black.
[/list]
Here are the next steps I see, but do not want to spend any more money until I receive some advice:
  • Purchase a factory (HP) cartridge.
  • Purchase a new printer. (Local shop repairs approach or exceed the value of the printer.)

Is there any DIY troubleshooting or repair that you can recommend?

Thanks for your guidance,
wkid
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

In my opinion I would buy a factory cartridge and see if that works, if it does then the printer is still good, If it doesn't then it may be time to get a new printer. If the genuine cartridge works then I would go back on the other company and tell them it is their cartridges that are not working properly.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thanks computerxpds. I was hoping to avoid yet another trip to the store to find the problem. It has gotten pretty old by now.

regards,
wkid

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

I can understand that but still you never know it could be the cartridges, at least this way you will know what the issue is. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Considering the cost printers these days...and the speed with which new ones are produced...I'd just buy a new one.

Louis

#6 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply. A factory cartridge solved the problem. I cannot for the life of me understand why I had no problems with atermarket refills for about two years and then had total failure using them.

regards,
wkid

#7 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply. A factory cartridge solved the problem. I cannot for the life of me understand why I had no problems with atermarket refills for about two years and then had total failure using them.

regards,
wkid

It happens not with just HP, it seems to be a general rule for each printer manufacturers. :wink:
At a certain point, refillable cartridges or even CISS would stop working, then once you used the right print cartridges it would work again.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#8 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

So much for saving $10 per cartridge,huh? :angry: I wonder if this is by design to insure continued sales revenue for the manufacturer, or an engineering glitch. My money is on the former.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users