Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot print

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FugacityMan

FugacityMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hi -

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 600m. My printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8500.

Whenever I try to print a document from my laptop, which has a wireless connection to my printer, the file appears on the print queue, but does not print. The printer works fine with my wife's laptop which is also connected via a wireless connection, and connecting my computer directly to the printer via a local connection does not fix the problem. My network connection is otherwise functional. I reinstalled the drivers from the HP website, but this did not remedy the issue.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when I run Security Center, I am told that the Security Center is unavailable because the Security Center service has not started. Ditto for the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service. When I attempt to manually start the service, I obtain an error. There are several other services listed as Automatic in my services window that are not starting, including Akamai NetSession Interface, HP Home Network Diagnostic Support Service, and WLANKEEPER. An additionally oddity is that there are two services listed as Automatically starting up without descriptions whose status is "starting", entitled svchest125940 and svchest125953.

Please advise.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Does the printer function properly if physically connected to your system?

Did you uninstall ALL printer software installed on your system...and set the printer up again, following the manufacturer's directions?

Louis

#3 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

You sound like you have an infection. Quick basic test is to makie a new user account and try printing. If it allows you to print you may be infected but you may want to look at cleaning the system anyways. Also if you uninstall and reinstall hp drivers please make sure you follow how HP wants you to do it it may cause all kinds of problems if not done right.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

FWIW: Creating a new profile would not necessarily indicate malware...it would merely typically point in the direction of a damaged profile.

Louis

#5 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

I was making a jump that a damaged profile would not just damage itself. I should clear up my posting a little...

I also include toolbars in infections. From all the systems (3-4 a day 5-6 days a week for 4 years) I have cleaned if you create a new user account and it starts working just fine there is something tied to that other user account that is causing a problem. It could be an infection, toolbar, start up item, something not starting up right, it could be a number of things. This by no means was a clear cut rule of thumb but more a way for me to get more intel on what the problem could be.

What I would do.

Create a new user account if it works nice. If it does not work Skip down a bit.....

If the new user account works I would then clean the system, I am not sure how much I can say here without getting in a bind but I would turn off start up items use HJT use Malwarebytes and other programs like toolbar cop to clean the system and see if it works. I would also remove all toolbars. I know it should dumb but I have seen badly written toolbars keep the system from booting, Screen savers from running, printers from printing and even blue screens. In my personal opinion toolbars are a type of cancer for your computer.

YOU SKIPPED DOWN A BIT
If a new user account does not fix it you still may have a problem with infections but lets look at some other things..

Did you check the IP of the printer? Did you set a static IP on the printer? Sometimes the IP on printers will change. IPs on wireless printers should always be static.

You will have to look on your printer but most the time you can go to options > networking > print networking. Something like that. This will then shoot out a page with all kinds of info. What you are looking for looks like this

192.168.0.XXX

What we want is that top number. It may also be something like 10.10.10.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX IT really could be just about anything.

Now armed with this new info go to “control panel” > printers right click on the printer you are using and see in the ports what IP it is using are they the same?

If the IP is the same I would then try Sharing her printer and setting it up as a hub to see if this will allow you to print. This will clear out questions if your computer just can’t print.
I will also use HP’s uninstall guide for the printer and then reinstall it. Without knowing more of what type of printer you have the Info I asked for I am not doing much more then shooting in the dark.

Please let me know if any of this worked what printer you have. Also please hit “ctrl + shift esc” and let me know how many Processes are running in the performance tab.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

FWIW: Profiles...files, in general...get damaged every day in the process of system utilization. To assume that a damaged profile is an indication of malware...seems very illogical to me.

Why stop with a profile? Why not assume that every instance of corrupt/damaged files...indicates malware? Because...that's not the way things happen necessarily.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#7 FugacityMan

FugacityMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

I uninstalled all of the programs connected to my printer and reinstalled them, and that fixed the problem. Thanks!

#8 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Good, I am glad you are up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users