Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alvaaron

Alvaaron

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

My mom's laptop keeps getting a black screen. I googled "black screen laptop" and I found out about the black screen of death, but it doesn't appear to be this as it completely freezes the computer. I have no idea what this could possible be so I'm hoping someone on here has an idea. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite t135d-s1324 if it makes any difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

Is she doing anything in particular when I happens? Are the fans still running when the screen goes dark. Are the power lights still illuminated when it goes to the black screen?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. All she uses it for is to browse the internet and check her email. When the screen goes black, it's comparable to if you had paused a movie during a black scene during the credits or something, The power indicator also stays light on.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:59 AM

How often does this happen? What do you do after you see the black screen (do you have to reboot or does it go away)? Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

The AC adapter may be going out ... you can buy a new one and see if that's the problem. If not, take it back to the store.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

It happens within three or four minutes of turning the computer on and I haven't tried safe mode yet (not sure why honestly) but I'll give that a go. And we haven't been able to get it to work for about four days now. As for the ac adapter, I highly doubt that would be the problem, because it holds a charge just fine.

#7 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Apparently the laptop is working again, and it's getting really, really hot. I think the fan might not being coming on as a matter of fact. Is this an easy home repair or is it off to the factory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users