Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP - Looking for a particular Screen Saver Style

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hello Everyone, I've been searching around for a specific type of Screen Saver for the longest time and by chance this morning I came across a web template that works on the basis that I would like the Screen Saver to work.

I'm posting here in the hope that someone out there has come across or knows of a Screen Saver that does exactly what I'm looking for.

I found the website template I spoke of above on "Website Design Templates" and it's called "3D Cube Wordpress Gallery" the link below illustrates what the template looks like / what it does.

http://webtemplatebiz.com/show-template-3617.html

Viewed full screen I think this is brilliant! But I can't find something similar for a screen saver.... anyone come across something like this out there? I'm using Win XP.

Thanks for all your suggestions in advance!
Pensive By Nature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hi, PBN

I'm wary of the sites offering free savers, (interactive or otherwise), because of the junk that downloads with them and possibly malware.

I would be more inclined to search for free Flash files (there are loads) and convert them to .scr files with a freeware program, such as InstantStorm, small program, easy to use and works well:

http://www.instantstorm.com/

If you aren't able to build your own savers, this is just one link for free Flash files:

http://www.ffiles.com/

#3 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for this Pete,

I was looking at the links in my post for another project but what you've given me to look into on first glance looks great. Need to take some time out to go through it properly but it certainly looks promising! Thanks.
Pensive By Nature

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

My comment about building your own savers could be construed as rude. What I really meant to say was that, for me, grabbing freely available flash files is often preferable to struggling with my Flash program and sometimes it's not worth the effort, when there are such excellent creations out there, for which you don't need Wordpress or other plugins.

I came across InstantStorm fairly recently, when I was looking into ways to get the old Win95 Guinness, 'Dancing Man', 'Anticipation' screensaver running on XP. Someone had kindly put the video on YouTube, so I got the .FLV file, converted it to a .SWF with 'Any Video Converter' (freeware) and thence to a .SCR with InstantStorm. Admittedly, it is a large .scr file (almost as big as the .flv), but it runs really well and is the best Guinness Ad, IMO.

But, I digress. Good luck with your efforts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users