Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

Has anyone used the PC Tools Registry Mechanic? I'm just looking for some feedback. Is it good, easy to use? Does it clean the registry automatically or do you need to know what to choose to delete? I've never cleaned the registry but if it is complicated I don't want to mess anything up, I don't need any more problems. Thanks.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ergorest

ergorest

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

I prefer RegCleaner.

Very easy to use, no installed spyware either.

Basically it tells you where and when each item was installed and its a one click uninstallation of reg items.
Signature removed for failure to comply with BC guidelines.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

A word of caution:

Always Always make a back of your registry before making ANY changes!!!!!!!!!!!

Incorrect changes to your registry can do serious harm to your Operating System. Using registry cleaners without some knowledge of what the application is doing, and blindly trusting its decision is not a wise choice.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 lula

lula

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:42 AM

John is SO right!
I have this programme, because I am such a paranoid but without any technical knowledge to help me. On the few occasions I used it, I allowed it to do whatever it said needed doing, and each time I had problems. I had to reconfigure my internet connection a couple of times, and a few other annoying little glitches. I am not saying its a bad programme, it is my fault for playing with things I dont fully understand.
My maxim now is if it aint broke, dont try and fix it...or at least ask Bleeping Computer first..

Good luck

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

I use ccleaner myself. I like the program, and so far, I haven't had any issues. However, I always back up the registry before I make any changes. So if something does go wrong, it can be fixed. Making changes to the registry might cripple your computer, so be careful, and back everything up!!!!

#6 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the info, I don't think I'll try it. If it can be screwed up I will screw it up.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

NEVER, EVER Change anything with your registry! This is an absolute No-No!
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users