Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could have happened?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Curiousp

Curiousp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:53 AM

Well a few days ago, I downloaded the recent Windows Updates, and everything seemed to be normal.

The next day however, I returned to the computer after a few hours away, and the Internet was not working. I switched the modem on and off and this did not help, but it was working perfectly fine an hour before. I decided to check Nod32 to see if it found something, or there was sort of error, and as soon as I opened it from the system tray, an error popped up saying Nod32 GUI encountered an error and needs to be shut down. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I thought this is strange, and tried reopening it from the start menu, but it said cannot connect to Kernel.

I restarted the computer, and Nod32 loaded as normal. I checked the internet, and this time it was up and running perfectly. Then in the system tray, a Windows red balloon indicated that no virus protection could be found, even though Nod32 was up and running and when opened, anti virus and anti spyware was ticked. Scanning could be accessed as well. I looked at the Windows Security Centre, and the 'virus protection' was 'off' even though it obviously wasn't.

I then decided to reboot the computer into safe mode, and scanned with Hitman Pro which found nothing. I then looked at Eset's site for information and it said it could be a dysfunction in the antivirus' interface, or a Backdoor Bot. I thought the Bot was unlikely as nothing suspicious had been going on, and I had done a lot of scans with eset, malwarebytes and HitmanPro the day before. I used Eset's tool for the Bot just in case, but it does not say whether it found something or not, the command prompt box just appears and then disappears. I then ran a full scan with Malwarebytes and nothing was found.

I rebooted the computer a few hours later, and the little balloon did not appear again, nor did any errors and the internet was fine. I am just wondering, what could have caused this? Could it have been Windows Updates, and it somehow didn't recognize Eset Nod32 for some reason, or was it a malfunction in Nod32's system?

Thanks- sorry for the long essay like information

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

I use NOD32 and did not encounter any issues after the last update so I doubt it had anything to do with that.

I have seen this issue reported previously at the official Eset forum and the Eset folks advised it could be attributed to other security programs like Spybot's TeaTimer. However, they did not provide a specific explanation. You may want to look at the logs in Event Viewer to see if there is any information there which may provide more details about the error.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Curiousp

Curiousp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:40 AM

I use NOD32 and did not encounter any issues after the last update so I doubt it had anything to do with that.

I have seen this issue reported previously at the official Eset forum and the Eset folks advised it could be attributed to other security programs like Spybot's TeaTimer. However, they did not provide a specific explanation. You may want to look at the logs in Event Viewer to see if there is any information there which may provide more details about the error.

Thank you for the information. I looked at Event Viewer, and listed there was:

error SecurityCentre: The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

error Application: Faulting application egui.exe, version 4.2.35.0, faulting module egui.exe, version 4.2.35.0, fault address 0x000fb4eb.

There was also a W32Time error possibly concerning the Internet disconnection: Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

The only other scanners I have on the computer are Malwarebytes and HitmanPro. Do you have any idea what these errors could be outlining?

Thank you :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

The Security Center gets its data from the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Repository and uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through WMI. In manual detection mode, Windows Security Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files let Windows Security Center detect the status of independent software.

If you are experiencing problems with the WMI service you might need to manually stop and restart it.

To do that you press the Windows Key + R keys on your keyboard or go to Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
  • Click OK or press Enter.
  • Click the Extended tab at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
  • Scroll down the list and check for the Windows Management Instrumentation service.
  • Double-click on it or right-click and choose Properties.
  • From the drop-down menu next to Startup Type, click on Manual
  • Stop the service by clicking the Stop button.
  • Click Apply, then OK and close any open windows.
  • Repeat the steps to open services.msc again.
  • Scroll down the list to the WMI service.
  • From the drop-down menu next to Startup Type, click on Automatic
  • Start the service by clicking the Start button.
  • Click Apply, then OK and close any open windows.

#5 Curiousp

Curiousp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

So do you think it was a fault in the security centre? Or was there something else?

Thanks

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hard to say without further more information. You may want to check at the Official ESET Support Forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users