Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange pop up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sisterrita

sisterrita

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:40 AM

I have Windows XP Home, this message is popping up when I turn computer on.

Windows cannot find 'C:\DOCUME~\Birdsong\LOCALS~1\Temp/csrss.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. to search for a file, click the Start button, then click Search.

I did the search and I get:
C:\DOCUME~\Birdsong\LOCALS~1 refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again. If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location.

I have not inserted any disk so I don't know why it's telling me that.

Now I am also getting:

Cannot load or run 'C:\DOCUME~\Birdsong\LOCALS~1\Temp/csrss.exe'. Make sure it is in the registry or remove it from the registry.

I have run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I have run McAfee, I have defraged, I have done disk clean up, even tried system restore. Is there an easy solution or am I in trouble here? I have not attempted to remove from registry because I am not sure of what I am doing and frankly I do not know how to get to the registry. (don't laugh, i am computer challenged :huh:

Thank you.

Edited by sisterrita, 18 July 2011 - 01:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

The file in question is a windows client server runtime subsystem module, and as such should not be in a temp directory, which leads me to believe you at one time were infected. You ran cleanup, so if that \temp folder is no longer on your system, hope you have a friend that knows REGEDIT.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

Agreed this was probably caused by malware. You might want to post in our Am I Infected forum to make sure your system is not infected. If you are pretty sure the system is "clean", either:

1) Download and use Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to see if there is a startup item looking for that file (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

or

2) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Also, I urge you to get rid of any McAfee products and replace them with ANY other software.

Edited by Allan, 18 July 2011 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users